One of the stories that really gets to me in the Bible is Jacob and Esau. But it's not Jacob who I'm really angry at, it's Rebekah. I just don't understand how someone so specifiically chosen by God for marriage to Isaac- can deceive her own husband stealing from her older son. (Genesis 26-28)
It's terrible. Imagine your husband being on the edge of death and being so obsessed with your own desires and favorite son that you craft a plot to deceive the love of your life. To dress Jacob up in hairy clothes and hunters smells, to lie to Isaac- to cause pain on her whole family.
And let me just remind you that Rebekah is no slut, she's no Christian newbie, she's not from around the block. She is the poster child for every "how to date" or "kiss dating goodbye" Christian read.
She is from the right place, right family, right upbringing. She is kind, generous, respectful. Isaac's servant obeyed God and Abraham's orders and prayed over who this girl should be- and she was the girl- given by God who seemed to have it all.
And so I wonder how can a family that starts with God- with a holy relationship- and dedication and love go so wrong? How can a couple submitted to each other in prayer deceive each other so coldly?
Why do so many couples in the church lack love for each other? Yes they can play so perfect serving in church and serve the right rolls during communion, yet I can't pretend I didn't see them yelling at each other getting ready for Sabbath or all the way there? Why are so many Christian couples fighting and getting divorced? And then others play martyrs and try to stay in terrible relationships because they believe it's their Christian duty. In summary what's wrong with families and why is it so difficult for families to serve God and stay pure?
Ellen White writes that there is no missionary field more important than the home, no greater testimony than a family that loves God and loves each other. And Satan strategically must love to attack this area.
This story of Esau and Isaac is also close to my heart because 2 summers ago I wrote a skit for my church on a modern day parallel for a VBS. The theme was "God heals broken families". It was one of my favorite skits, favorite themes, favorite topics- it was real, deep, and practical.
As a single girl, I look around at so many issues families are having and it's intimidating, it's scary. Quite bluntly, I never want in a relationship like what I see so often around me. The tears, the blaming, the control, the pain. It's easy to look at a story like this and just blame Rebekah- because she started it. But I think one thing I've definitely learned lately is "it takes two to tango"and relationships are hard. It's hard for selfish people to learn to unconditionally love someone else. Then you bring in kids- and wow, I can only imagine... Families are hard, intense, crazy, and wild at times.
But the thing about God is He doesn't give up on us, He doesn't leave us and blame us; He doesn't start what He won't fulfill; and He didn't just help Isaac find Rebekah and then leave them a broken story ending. Our Father is a dad of forgiveness, completion, a God of detail, restoration, and perfection.
In the end of the story Esau forgives Jacob and Jacob seeks forgiveness. Jacob runs to Esau arms wide open and accepts his brother again. Esau and Jacob working together, at their own time, with God's help bring their family back together again. Families are hard; families need help and prayer because the devil wants to break people where it hurts. Thankfully we have a Father that is all about family, all about community, rebuilding trust and broken relationships. No matter where we've been, what we've done, what our families like, Christ calls us to a family much bigger than ourselves- to a Kingdom. And He tells us, you have a place at my table, you have a family of love.. and I'm going to teach you how to do family better.
No comments:
Post a Comment