Thursday, February 8, 2018

While I'm Waiting

If you've ever watched "Facing the Giants", you may remember the song "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. At this point in the movie, the husband (coach) is waiting to know if his team will win or lose the big game and if he will keep his job and his wife is waiting and waiting to see if they can get pregnant together. She is going to different doctors' to try and find out what is wrong. The chorus goes..
"While I'm waiting
I will serve you.

While I'm waiting
I will worship

I'll be running the race
Even while I wait."

I don't know if you've recently read the story of Joseph, but I see a man who does ALOT of waiting. He believes that He is blessed by God from His youth and that He has a special calling even to a position of rule for him.. and yet for so long it doesn't seem God is working on his side.

As a teenager, he experiences so much jealousy and hatred from his brothers that he is sold into slavery. He works hard as a slave and eventually earns the respect of his household, only to be lied about and deceived, thrown into prison for a crime he never did. And according to Biblical research it is estimated that He spent about 13 years in prison and slavery making him age 30 when he was finally made overseer to the king of Egypt.

I can only imagine Joseph crying out to God: "What about your promise Lord? Is this the plan you have for me? How much longer am I going to have to wait?"

But Joseph demonstrated the art of waiting well. While He was waiting, He served. He served in any and every dimension of his life, he didn't serve to be seen by others. But He served because He wanted to be faithful in the small things. While he was waiting, He worshiped. He read the scriptures and spent time in prayer. So that when he was called upon in prison, when his opportunity arose, wisdom was found in Him because He knew Jesus. 

And while He was waiting, He ran the race. He had endurance, moral strength, positive attitude, the will to continue. Joseph waited of God to be of influence, He waited to be restored to his father again and his brothers, He waited on God for a wife, for riches, and for direction.

I think it's really difficult in life to wait- and yet it's extremely important to learn how to wait well and to practice faithfulness in Christ. It's easy to get angry, to give up, to withdraw, or even to make up your things and interventions acting impulsive. I know I have to question myself and ask if in the areas of life where I'm waiting, am I serving, worshipping, and running towards God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment