Sunday, October 15, 2017

Why I shouldn't be a nurse

There's some days that remind me of the hundred reasons I used to never want to be a nurse: iv's being just one. I tried to practice IV's today with my friend Ariane and after watching her stick herself four times for practice I decided to be brave and get it a go. Let's just say the needle didn't get more than 1/10th of a centimeter in my skin before I was screaming like a baby. It's a mental thing I know.

Reason #1: I'm scared of everything medical.
Reason #2: I hate hospitals.
Reason #3: I think body fluid is digusting: poop, pee, throw up. It's just nasy.
Reason #4: I don't like looking at naked people. Profound huh? But really it bothers me.

A couple years ago, I listed all these reasons and more to God. I listed and listed and listed reasons. Countless reasons why I should be in charge of my future career. Reasons why I knew what the best plans were for me. Excuses why I couldn't surrender everything to Jesus. Why I couldn't overcome my fears to follow Christ. I told Jesus how I felt and what I wanted, and He said, No Brooke I want you to do this. I want you to be a nurse.

This Friday I sign papers for my first nursing job at a clinic. I've been completing training online and I'm finally done. And I'm nervous and excited, and everything else. But to be honest, I have NO regrets for following God and doing nursing. It is one area that God has had total sovereignty in my life. He has consistently came through for me time and time again giving me little miracles and encouragements. I can't even begin to describe to you the ways God has been faithful to me. Not to mention the ways he has developed and changed my character through nursing.

Although even today, I can continue to list reasons why I still don't feel qualified or capable to be a nurse, I can also list to you reasons why I am a nurse and why I love nursing.

Reason #1: You get paid to care for people on their worst days.
Reason #2: You get to provide people encouragement and hope.
Reason #3: You can hold babies and children.
Reason #4: God gives me strength when I am weak and is the doctor when I have no skill.

You better bet if you get hurt I'm going to be running over to you, super excited to practice my nursing skills and help you feel better. I love it!

How often we limit what God can do in our lives by focusing on ourselves. God wants to do things in our life that are scary, even impossible for us to do on our own. If we trust Him, He will help us. He will never leave us on our own. But through His power He will do great things.


No comments:

Post a Comment