Sunday, October 22, 2017

JOY spotting

There is so much sadness and brokenness in this world right now. It can become overwhelming. In the past week, I've talked to a single man whose second wife died unexpectedly, I've talked to people who struggle with painful illness and disease, talked to people who are depressed and doubt the reason to live. With all the natural disasters, with the shooting tragedy in LA, there's alot of grief, so much pain.

And I think we have to address it and deal with it. Yet we have to be careful not to dwell on it.

We can't dwell on our problems, on the tragedy, on the hurt. In our lives or in the lives of friends. For the Bible tells us to COUNT IT ALL JOY. And more importantly I believe is when we dwell on the evil, our minds begin to think negatively. But when we dwell on Christ's second coming, we don't have time to be sad or selfish and we feel the urgency to preach the Gospel.



Personally, I struggle alot with getting overwhelmed and stressed. I want to feel the joy of Jesus and the emotion of being close to Christ and I get frustrated when I can't feel it. I definitely get sad and frustrated at things I experience, and often feel alone. Yet lately I've been so convicted on how soon Jesus is coming and how near the Word of God must be in our hearts to be ready. Also just the message we have to proclaim!

I long to think more like Paul to base my spirituality less on emotions and highs or lows but to learn to be content in all circumstances. To praise God through the mountains and the valleys.

I think truly I have to pray for a change of heart that is seeking Jesus coming day after day. And I think this hope of His second coming, this love in Him and promise of seeing Him soon, will be the only thing that gives our hearts joy. I also think though that it's a perspective change. That God has to teach us to dwell on the positive. That we have to learn the art of thanksgiving. That we have to start hunting for joy, searching for God, and His love no matter where we are. And we have to let Him fill us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment