Lately I've been looking for the handbook.
The manual with pictures and step by step instructions on how to be a Christian nurse.
How to take care of patients when you are tired. How to smile when cleaning up poop. How to laugh off a parent yelling at you because you took long to bring them their baby formula- because you were "just saving lives".
Lately I've been looking at the picture books.
Of my mom and dad and brother.
And wondering how to be a better daughter.
How to honor my parents and love them.
How to treasure their kindness.
How to be a sister that loves like Jesus.
I've been reading "Daughters of God"
And writing out the checklist of what a good Christian girl looks like.
The ways she helps others, and the way she dresses
And the food she makes and way she cleans everything up perfectly
But the more I read the 10 commandments..
The Proverbs 31 list. The Fruits of the spirit, the Ellen White guidelines for Christian like living..
The more I realize
I am not making the cut. I am not measuring up.
My efforts are like filthy rags. And guilt fills up my heart because I feel so unworthy and so not good enough.
And if you've ever felt this way before- you understand how much guilt can drag you down.
How much you can strive to be better and yet never seem to get it.
But friends, this is the good news, this is the Gospel, this is the miracle that changes everything
Right here in my mess is where Jesus shows up
Jesus died on the cross for my sins on the darkest day. His death covers my shame, my shortcomings, my fears of imperfection.
Jesus tells me You don't have to overcome sin on your own. You don't have to carry your burdens alone. Give them to me. I'll carry them for you.
Friends, we will never overcome our sins using our own strength.
We will never obtain righteousness by going through the checklist, by striving harder.
God never asked us to fight the battle against evil on our own.
He wants to give us strength to fight our daily battles.
He wants to take our burdens and carry them so that we can find new joy each day.
If you've ever felt discouraged, feeling like you are not good enough. I encourage you to re-surrender your life to God and to realize how much He loves you. He loves you right now- just the way you are. And He is not just loving you to bind rules on top of you. He loves you enough to set you free.
Free from your selfishness.
Free from your laziness.
Free from your lack of trust.
He offers us strength each day and the power to overcome evil if we will trust Him. If we will pray to Him, spend time in His name, and walk in the paths of light we shall overcome by the power of His name.
No comments:
Post a Comment