Sunday, March 25, 2018

"When I'm Tired I..."

Since we are all totally different and unique children of God- we all internally process things differently and as creatures of sin we all struggle with different temptations. We've all walked different pathways, written different stories with our lives, and been wounded in different areas.

As we met Jesus- we've hopefully surrendered our lives to Him and asked Him for the power to overcome any sins and strongholds Satan has put in our life. And I hope that you like me have been able to see the work Jesus has done in your life as He changes us into new creations.

But.. the thing I've becoming recently aware of in my personal life is how I can put myself in situations where I am spiritually and emotionally weak- and more likely to sin. And these are not evil places where I'm going, but they are mind sets that I'm letting myself hold onto or physical conditions that are difficult to work with.

What I mean here is when I'm tired, overwhelmed, stressed out, sick, lonely, or hungry just to name a few- I've discovered that it's far easier for me to sin. And it may be by acting impulsively, putting other people down "jestingly", or just by becoming too emotionally unstable where I am incompetent of making clear decisions. When I get myself to this place, I am extremely vulnerable, extremely sensitive, and extremely prone to temptation and sin.

When you read Elijah's story in 1 Kings 18 and 19 you see a man who loves God, is able to pray to God and an amazing miracle happens converting thousands, and shortly after physically exhausts himself to the point of deep depression. He was so tired that his feelings began to overcome him and he prayed that he would die. And it's at this point in the story, that God sends an angel to give him food and water and he is basically told to rest a while.

As a nurse, one thing we learned in nursing school about pregnancies, was the high rate of post-partum depression. And you may be asking why would any mom who has always dreamed of having a kid fall into depression right after delivering their little baby? But the answer is simple, moms are tired, they are physically exhausted, and if they don't feel emotionally and physically supported it is difficult for them to take care of their child.

Although I believe there are exceptions, I believe that if we deny ourselves from physical strength we can't cope as well spiritually. I believe that emotional, spiritual, and physical health are all connected. Although Jesus proved to us the ultimate example of how he could fast in the desert for 40 days and not be overcome by sin- it is well known that the fact of not eating and being physically exhausted made the temptations more real and difficult for Jesus.

1 Corinthians 10:13 which says that our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and I think we quote this alot but often don't take time to think about what it means. Can my physical health truly limit my spiritual health? Can I abide in Christ, focus clearly, and demonstrate His love as well when I am emotionally exhausted or physically weak as when I am healthy? What do I need to do to maintain a physical level of health that is sustainable for spiritual and emotional health.

1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert, for your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking those he may devour.

When I'm tired I... struggle alot more with temptation and sin.
When I'm tired I.. compare myself more to others and struggle with confidence.
When I'm tired I... look for people to help fulfill me instead of Christ.

Because I know that I'm prone to these temptations, I know that I need to prioritize health and sleep so that I can be a better follower of Christ. What are physical conditions or emotional conditions that make it difficult for you to function spiritually? What are ways that you can strengthen yourself in the other areas so that temptation will be easier to overcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment