It's un-natural to deny yourself of pleasure if you don't know Christ and His calling. And even when you do know Jesus, there are times when feelings and temptations can feel so strong, and it's very difficult to overcome.
Ellen White writes about education and the importance of educating our minds and bodies and spirits. It isn't just an education of our youth but it's a continuous education towards Christ- upward. We master one thing and Christ says great job, but I'm going to continue to call you and lead you higher. I love this from her:
"Let no one suppose that conversion is the beginning and end of the Christian life. There is a science of Christianity that must be mastered. There is to be growth in grace, that is constant progress and improvement. The mind is to be disciplined, trained, educated; for the child of God is to do service for God in ways that are not natural, or in harmony with inborn inclination. Those who become the followers of Christ find that new motives of action are supplied, new thoughts arise, and new actions must result. But they can make advancement only through conflict; for there is an enemy that ever contends against them, presenting temptations to cause the soul to doubt and sin. Besides this ever vigilant foe, there are hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil that must be overcome. The training and education of a lifetime must often be discarded that the Christian may become a learner in the school of Christ and in him who would be a partaker of the divine nature, appetite and passion, must be brought under the control of the Holy Spirit. There is to be no end to this warfare this side of eternity, but while there are constant battles to fight, there are also precious victories to gain, and the triumph over self and sin is of more value than the mind can estimate. "
I love testimonies, I love hearing people's conversions to Christ and the up and down emotions, it makes for a great story. But so much more powerful than that, is an individual who truly loves God and demonstrates consistency in the way he or she loves others and demonstrates the characteristics of Christ. It's easy to tell a story, it's easy to get emotional and say all these things God has done (and God can be glorified). But so much more, than not with words, actions testify of the real active love of Jesus. And to me, the effects are amplified if you can see a relationship in which two individuals or a family is serving God because loving someone else requires so much self control, so much discipline.
I struggle with self-control and discipline at times; I feel like my natural personality just hates rules and there is definitely temptation towards rebellion. And there are times when I pray to God and beg Him for the "quick fix" which I don't believe exists. I think it's a journey upward; it's a constant struggle. And I think for me, it's often practicing self-control and discipline in the little things that makes the biggest difference.
Self control with what I eat, self control with not participating in social media, self control in not impulsively flirting with guys, self control emotionally, self control in doing a job I don't enjoy. These are small things that I can practice self control in. And sometimes the world makes it seem like these things don't matter, go out and have fun, and just do as you please. But if we can't control what we put in our mouths, if we can't control our spare time wisely, then how can we have self-control to stand up to temptation when Satan really tempts us with one of our weaknesses? How can we be prepared for the End days if we are not practicing self control and discipline in our daily lives?
It's so easy to make excuses, to blame the past, or our current situations and use crutches to help us get through life. I told my friend the other day that the caffeine in green tea made me act more like Jesus because it helps give me energy and feel better when I'm exhausted. But caffeine is a stimulant; it's not natural and it's probably not healthy in the long run; and it goes back to the principle of practicing denial in little things. I'm gonna mess up; I'm probably going to fail and my acts of self-denial will probably look like filthy rags in comparison to Jesus' model of discipline. But I have to keep trying; you have to keep getting back up and fighting whatever the battle is for you personally.
And His grace will help you; His grace will cover your weaknesses and He will give us strength.
2 Timothy 1:7 says "For the spirit of God does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self discipline." And Proverbs 16:32 says "Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self control than one who takes a city." I don't know about you, but my prayer is to be more like Jesus, to learn more what it means to be holy and if we want to follow in Jesus' footsteps we have to learn the art of self control and self-denial.
No comments:
Post a Comment