I'm twenty-three years old and I miss my mom.
And I miss my housemates. Because they left me for the weekend.
So I'm sitting in my room wondering who to talk too about life.
I haven't lived with my mom in so many years but I talk to my mom on the phone every day. I love talking to her; I love our relationship- everytime I get in the car, she's the first person I want to call. And since right now, she's on vacation in Aruba. I can't talk to her.
I love talking to my best friends and house mates. I love telling them about my day and listening to theirs because we care about each other. I love sharing my life with them.
And the question I have to ask myself is Do I love talking to God as much as I love talking to my mom and best friends? Do I talk to God as much as I talk to them? If I truly told God everything would I really need to talk about it so much with other people?
I was listening to a sermon by Doug Batchelor and he says that "we have the opportunity to draw near to God in prayer like a best friend and yet so many of us act like we don't care."
If I'm intentional about talking to my best friends and mom on a regular basis how much more intentional should I be about talking to God consistently?
And I do talk to God; I talk to God at work when I'm upset and I thank Him for cute babies and I pray for strength and I ask Him to save me a million times each day. I do talk to God. But sometimes I don't talk to Him like a best friend, or a King. Sometimes I don't give Him the time of day. Sometimes I get distracted when I'm talking to Him and I forget to listen.
But just how talking with my mom and best friends, gives me strength and re-energizes me, helping me to process life, I know that in talking to Christ I can be full of joy, receive comfort, wisdom, and draw closer to His heart.
The angels greatest joy is being in the presence of God. And this is what heaven is going to be like- it's going to be a place where we can constantly dwell in Christ's presence. And dwelling with Jesus is the definition of true joy.
But the thing is friends, we don't have to wait until heaven to know Jesus closer. We can pray to Him today because He loves us so much and will draw near to our hearts. He will even teach us how to pray better, teach us how we can get in a deeper relationship with Him.
I don't know about you, but I want to talk to God more than anyone else on this earth. Because I want to be like Him more than anyone else. I trust Him more than anyone else. So it makes sense then, that we would spend the time with Him more than anyone else and that we would love to talk to Him. And talking to Christ is prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment