It sounds a little selfish to someone who doesn't understand that kind of love. I mean we should love Jesus for who He is right and His character, not just for what he does for us? And at the same time, His love for us is something so extravagant and big that we don't deserve-..
Does this mean we shouldn't accept it?
Have you ever gotten a present you thought was too good for you, or maybe just too expensive, and you didn't want it because you didn't want that person who gave it to sacrifice so much up for you?
We may think that we are being martyrs when we deny that good gift or opportunity. When we say, I'm not worthy of that, and play the humble card. Give it to someone else. I'll sacrifice the gift you gave me, I'll pass, I'll work for what I am given.
But we hurt and disqualify ourselves when we deem ourselves unlovable. God can't give us a gift we are unwilling to accept and often the Devil's greatest tricks are convincing us that we are shameful, that we are guilty, that we are too far gone.
How can we be loved if we don't accept the love of Christ? And how can we love others if we don't experience what true love is like first?
I used to hate the quote "You only accept the love that you believe you deserve" but the reason why this is so often true, is that you have to be lovable to be loved. Someone can't love you if you don't let them.
And likewise we can only learn to love, by being taught and shown. There must be times in our lives when we are the loved one. It's ok to let someone else love you extravagantly, love you undeservedly,
just remember what it feels like and how they did it so that you can learn to do the same towards others.
Being lovable and accepting love may be hard. But it's necessary if we want to love others. The only person holding us back is ourselves and the lies we've been taught.
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.
Jesus loves you. He loves me. I don't deserve it and that's ok; I never will. But the love of Christ fills my life, it frees me to love other people. It teaches me humility and gives me the desire to spread the joy and mercy that Christ has given me.
May we learn to be loved and love others better as we follow the footsteps of Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment