I never liked running but when I was in middle school, I competed in cross country. My coach did the Ironman. Every day we trained he would tell me, "Today because you trained, you got stronger." And every day you don't train (except for rest days) you get weaker."
Today, I have to ask myself if I've trained. Have you trained? Not for running a race, triathlon, or even Ironman, but have you trained for the arena? 1 Corinthians 10:24
Have you trained for the great test of your faith, when you are battling the lion in the colliseum and the lion is big and scary and intimidating. The benches are full of people cheering and waiting for the lion to devour you or for you to deny Christ. Is your character, mind, body, and emotions disciplined and prepared to battle?
Many days, I wake up, exercise, sometimes get Starbucks, work or hang out with my friends. And I forget. I forget that I am a warrior. I forget to train. That must really make the Lion happy, when we sleep a little longer and forget to train with the Warrior King. Because let me tell you, if we are not training daily, we will not win the battle.
While living the "American dream" it's quite easy for us to forget about the call to martyrdom that Jesus himself leads an example of. Eleven of the twelve apostles were persecuted. Stephen was stoned. James was killed. John the Baptist was beheaded.
John 15:18-20 says "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
1 Peter 4:12,13 says :Dear friends do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. Instead be glad, for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to the world."
If you feel like your life is pretty easy or mundane, I have to question you again "Are you training and who are you training with?" The Warrior King is kind and loving, but his discipline is strict and training requires endurance and hard work. Are you preparing for the arena? Are you surrendering yourself to Christ's daily discipline so that you can be changed into his warrior?
No comments:
Post a Comment