"God make me bold, make me radical, teach me to love in a brave way; teach me to love in a selfless way."
Have you ever wanted to do something to help someone or say something to bless someone only to be paralyzed by fear? There's many situations in my life when I've wanted to do something radical and kind only to think second about what would people think. Would this be weird? Is this socially acceptable? Maybe this guy will take this to mean something it's not supposed too? Maybe they will get the wrong idea?
Yes there are a million excuses, but the truth is loving people requires taking risks. The end. Jesus risked it all for us, so why should I be afraid to be unconventional, to be different, to stand out with the way I love the people around me? And yet it's hard, I will be the first to admit, it's so hard. And that goes for praying for people and patients that you don't know, as well as encouraging someone, or just going the extra mile.
Loving people is scary because people hurt you. Reaching out means risking rejection every single time. The more authentic you are as a person, the more vulnerable you are and deeper you can be hurt. Yet along with authenticity, vulnerability, and deeper love comes greater connection, and a greater chance to impact someone's life.
I still remember distinct people who loved me "differently" or unconventionally in my life and how it affected me. I remember one guy in Gym Masters who gave up his chance at showing off and getting more points to help me with moves because I was struggling. I wouldn't have made the team without his encouragement. There was a stranger who hugged me and comforted me when I was leaving my parents for a a whole year. Another stranger took care of me when I was sick, bringing me medicine, water, and even rubbing my neck. It was so weird yet these are people I think that I will remember forever. These people reminded me how much love can make a difference and the importance of not being afraid to reach out to other people.
We encounter people all the time hungry and thirsty for love and acceptance. It's so easy to look away, too easy to distract ourselves. But if we speak up, if we reach out, if we give- when it's not expected- we can find the joy in being closer to Jesus. We can make a difference if we learn to love better.
John 13:35 "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
No comments:
Post a Comment