Friday, June 15, 2018

Overflow

So I just got back from 6 days at camp- it was amazing by the way! And my heart is so full of joy and I am so much more elated/happy then before! The theme of the Christian summer camp was OVERFLOW and I think it's such an important concept.

As Christians I think so often we are told to serve, serve, serve, give, give, give. But we often forget that we can't give what we don't have. We can't shine a light when we are dark inside. We can't love others if we are not loved by Jesus.

And that's where the overflow concept comes in. We start with spending time with Jesus- we experience His love- we cling to His promises. And as He lives in us it creates this overflow of love, energy, and joy. And it's this overflow that we are called to share.

It's a simple concept but I struggle to live it practically. I almost expect that even though I skip personal devotions once in a while, I can still carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I take too much in stride- without giving it to Jesus- and before I know it, I'm flat on my face.

Personal devotions- our prayer, Bible reading, mediation- and spiritual discipline has to be the core of who we are. If our relationship with Christ is the thing that matters most in this life, then our spiritual disciplines have to become our first priority. It's the only way we will have enough "overflow" to share.

And I personally, confess, this is hard! This is really hard. But just because it's hard, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

I need Jesus so much! I need prayer; I need the Word of God; I need nature and meditation. Because without it my heart is so empty. Without it, I am tired, depressed, complaining, anxious-- but when I come to Christ He can refill me. His love energizes me. It gives me passion and purpose again.

And friends I want that. I hope you want that too.
So even if you struggle with it, try again with me. Try again to prioritize your spiritual disciplines- to learn what it means to focus on Jesus- because we need Him!!


No comments:

Post a Comment