Thursday, June 14, 2018

My Value

I don't know when in my life I began to long for things that felt just out of reach

For applause, for approval, for acceptance.

For solid relationships. But then deeper- I wanted to be loved by people. I wanted to be funny. I wanted my opinion to be heard

I wanted guys to think I was cool. I wanted guys to like me. I wanted them to care

And I began to care so much what other people thought of me..

It began to affect me- a little more- each day. I slowly became a slave to my feelings...


Until the way that other people saw me, could determine my self-worth and value. I gave away my value to be chosen by men, by humans, by situations instead of my Creator. I needed the validation to know I was worth something.

And friends, my selfishness- the longing to elevate myself- the desire to look out for my own needs instead of trusting God- deceived me.

It led me to compromise on little things.  It distracted and distorted my view of Christ and His calling for me as His daughter.


It's a struggle that's so hard- I know. It's a struggle I fight so often. To see myself in the eyes of God or to elevate myself and look at other people to try and find value and worth. And I know I'm not alone, with that struggle. The fact that so many women cut, and starve themselves, and are depressed, and let themselves be dragged into abusive relationships demonstrate the fact that something is wrong with their self-worth and value.

And it's no surprise when the Devil is constantly working to deceive.. the world tells us to focus on ourselves. To try and perform better to achieve what we "deserve". To wear makeup and look prettier, to work harder and move up to a more successful career. The world tells us that how other people see us matter.

But the Bible teaches us something else. The Word of God tells us not to trust in human flesh. The Word teaches us that what matters most is what God thinks of us. And the Word teaches us that we are valuable. That Jesus Christ loved us enough to come to this earth to die for our sins. That He is knocking on our hearts, that He knows everything about us and yet He continues to pursue us.

My value is not something that can change based on how I feel, or based off of something someone says or doesn't say. My value is rooted in Christ. I am valuable not because of how I act, nor perform, nor how many friends I have. But I am valuable because I am Christ's child.

It doesn't matter how you feel. It doesn't matter what you just faced. I work with women who are just raped, who are homeless, who have committed crimes, and I tell them YOU HAVE VALUE. Not because of you and your choices but it's because of who Christ made you to be. You have intrinsic value and worth because you are Jesus'- because of His love.

So may we stop striving for things we can't accomplish- for things that will never bring fulfillment. May we stop looking to our neighbors and the hottest guy to tell us what we are worth. And may we start believing that because we are Christ's- really and truly we are His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment