I think we often overlook the power of the words that we say- especially to the people we love.
With my friends that live with me, I think the one thing that really makes a big difference in our house is that we affirm each other- not just once a day or once a week. But we affirm each other all the time.
You did a great job on your test.
I love your painting.
Your an amazing nurse.
I love your dress.
Great job on running that mile.
It's something I used to be really uncomfortable with: the affirmation thing. I didn't use to want to compliment people unless they did something exceptional.
I didn't want them to get the wrong idea or give them something they didn't deserve.
For a while, words seemed cheap. And I didn't know if it was worth it to give compliments.
I still really struggle sometimes. Because it's just so easy to jokingly criticize someone or to put someone down.
But you never know how much that may hurt someone. Words can stay in our heads for a long time.
When I'm at the hospital, I speak super sweetly to my kids. I tell them "Your doing great. Your being so brave. Your doing an awesome job."
And in the beginning you feel a little silly saying those things.
And maybe the kids struggle to hear them. Because you might not believe what you are saying, they might not be able to accept it.
But after a while, it gets easier to praise people. You start believing what you are telling the kids. The kids start believing in their worth and capability.
And I think in so many ways, as grown ups and adults, we're still the same. We need the affirmation and encouragement because we sometimes struggle to believe in ourselves.
When we tell people who we see them becoming, we help them to grow into that person.
"You are so kind. You are so brave. Your doing a great job."
We never know how much a difference these words make until we are the ones really struggling and we are hearing them. Sometimes it's enough to really change a life.
It sounds silly sometimes. Sometimes I feel like a push over saying those words. And yet if I imagine Jesus on this earth, I think he would give a lot of affirmation. Not just meaningless words but words that spoke to the heart of who people were and who He was changing them into.
He would speak words that brought life and power. That made people feel forgiven and accepted and loved.
And so I think if we want to be like Jesus, we could learn to talk more like Him. We could learn to affirm more.
No comments:
Post a Comment