Monday, December 26, 2016

Home & Homeless

I had a WONDERFUL Christmas this year! So thankful to see many family members and enjoy time in Illinois.Tonight I arrived to my Okie house and I must admit I have to sigh... I LOVE visiting family I LOVE traveling but there is never no place like home.

A home is more than just a building, a country, a place but it's where memories are built and stories are told. I have many homes not just one because once you have a house somewhere it will always be a part of your heart for you have lived life in that place.

Tonight I wonder about Jesus's house- or really his home. The Bible doesn't speak a lot about Jesus's bedroom and where he rested. We know that he wasn't born in a real house- but a stable- and that he was raised in his home til around 14,15 years maybe.

In Luke 9:58 Jesus said "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Before this verse a scribe was asking to follow Jesus and Jesus is now telling him part of the cost and sacrifice of being his disciple. Jesus was functionally homeless.

Imagine being a homeless person for Jesus in this day and age. It would be irresponsible and even churches wouldn't welcome it. They would say "buy an apartment, be responsible, take care of yourself before you try to minister to others." Jesus was not conventional. He didn't care about the earthly kingdom. He didn't want to establish a home for himself. He didn't need earthly security for he had the heavenly King.

I wonder if Jesus ever longed for the comfort of his own bed, his own food of choice, his own house. Whether at times he was tempted or not, it is evident that he was so busy blessing others he hardly had time to miss out. He was constantly traveling, constantly healing, constantly teaching, reaching out and God provided his earthly needs to him and the disciples as they had faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment