Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Grand Canyon part 1

It's hard to consolidate my thoughts over this  spring break GRAND ADVENTURE with friends. It was so much fun, but more than that- it was water to my soul, water in the desert that God blessed me with and restored my thirst for Him again.



A road trip indeed, through the planes and deserts of New Mexico and Arizona and time in Oklahoma and Texas (my home land)- beautiful sunsets, wild animals, and friends that felt like family.

Before the trip, I was tired of nursing- feeling a bit discouraged- a bit in a rut with my relationship of God. I felt like I was in a desert all alone. And though God provided nourishment, I was dehydrated, weak, and struggling.

The Grand Canyon trip was only some on a whim idea Ana and I had about 8 months before. We didn't really think we could go or pull it off. And when it was about four months til the Canyon and we applied they told us that they only had one more spot in the Grand Canyon left- nothing short of a miracle three days later we got the spot at Indian Garden Campgrounds.

The trek itself was vicious and we had a ranger at our campground tell us we wouldn't be able to do it before we went. It was 13 miles the first day- heading down to Phantom Ranch at the very bottom and then five miles back up to Indian Garden. The second day was five miles of intense climb lugging heavy backpacks up and down- our legs were shaky, but we were alive, and down for the journey! We survived the climb with flying colors (cramping legs and blisters) just going to show you not to let people define your limits or get discouraged.




"I will go where there are no easy roads with the comfort that I know. I will go where there are no easy roads. I will go. - Steve Green
It's about the journey, not the destination.

The Grand Canyon was BEAUTIFUL. It wasn't just the top that was gorgeous, it wasn't the bottom, it was the entire picture- the glory was in the vastness, the journey, the climb. The whole time we were backpacking I had this song in my head my mental clinical instructor sang "I love the mountains. I love the rolling hills. I love the flowers. I love the daffodils. I love the fire side when all the lights are low." The climb was hard. We were sweaty. We were tired. But we were all together, supporting each other (ok at times impatiently bickering or running on ahead)- and it was a glorious journey.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment