Monday, February 8, 2016

Prayer

This is something I wrote a year ago after my brother crashed and got hurt in a motorcycle accident. Tonight as my family was delivered from a fire I ask God the same questions. How does prayer God work? Why do you answer some and not others?

"God has been good to me and my family. He answers prayers.
Last Tuesday I found myself on my knees in front of my bed weeping to God.
It was a position I hadn't been in for a long time, when I just cried pleading for God to help my brother in surgery. I was so scared for Him and concerned. God and I had a long talk that day.
I had so many friends post on my Facebook wall that they would pray for my brother.
Honestly, it made me feel so loved and so near to Christ's church.
God did answer my prayer to help my brother's surgery go well and I praise Him for that.

Sometimes I have to wonder about prayer though.
Would my requests ever change God's will for someone else's life?
Am I twisting God's arm when I pray or trying to present my case in a way he has never seen it before?
If over 50 people pray does it make God more likely to answer my prayer? If someone is popular, they could get alot more prayer requests than someone who isn't known very well.

What about prayers that God don't answer?
That same day my brother crashed on his dirt bike the last lap of the race..
that same day I had prayed.
I had asked God to keep my baby brother safe.
I had pleaded for Him on his behalf to protect my brother during the race and not to let Him get hurt.
And right after I got word of my brother's crash I asked God
Why? Why didn't you answer my prayer?

Why don't you answer the prayers for the kid that just died from cancer?
Or for the orphan I met in Peru?
Why is she still there?

What about the girl I met in the hospital with cancer?
She didn't do anything wrong.

What about the kid in Africa, the teenager who got raped, the guy failing school while praying and studying like crazy?
 Why God do you answer some prayers and not the other ones?

I don't know if prayer is something we humans can ever really get
How can we commune with a God whom we can't ever fully understand?
Does prayer make a difference?
I believe so, but sometimes I don't know exactly how.

If I look at what the Bible says about prayer, here are some things I know:

1. God hears our prayers when we pray according to His will. 1 John 5:14
2. God commands us to devote ourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Colossians 4:2
3. The peace of God can fill our hearts when we pray. Philippians 4:6-7
4. The Lord draws close to us when we pray. Psalms 145:1
5. We need to confess our sins when we pray because the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:16
6. Finally this is the truth, I find most difficult to understand. When we have faith, God will answer our prayers if it His will. Mark 9:29, Acts 9:40, Mark 11:24, James 1:6

I know that God wants us to pray. I know that the devil does His best to stop us from prayer, and finally I know that prayer is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment