Saturday, February 6, 2016

God teach me

This past week was Week of Prayer and it was a week where students shared their testimonies. The theme was authenticity and I was beyond blessed by hearing friends' words and encouragement.

What is authenticity? Authenticity is a life that has been changed by Jesus? It's real- it's Jesus's love- it's His blood washing over our sins and making us a righteous in a dark world.

Sometimes I miss being in a leadership position for Christ, like being spiritual director, or a life group director- sometimes those things make me feel good- like they almost give me this fake confidence that I'm a leader for Christ so I'm obviously following His steps. But what about when those titles are taken away? What about when I'm just a new nursing student, when I'm a personal trainer at the gym, when I'm a girl playing intramurals. Then what do my actions speak about me and my love for Jesus? Is Jesus manifested in everything I do? Or do I look just like the rest of the world?

More importantly what does Jesus think about me? Do I know Him? Does He know me? Where have I come from?

I have a confession. Even though I have followed God for basically my whole life; I have attended years and classes of Christian school; I have even been spiritual director and a missionary, I am still sadly so Biblically illiterate. And I HATE admitting to this.

Sure I know some Bible verses. I may know more memory verses than you. But can I explain the 2300 day prophecy? Can I lead you to Christ using verses from my memory and not my Bible? Do I understand the history of the Adventist church? Sadly, regretfully, my answer is no. I have so much more to learn about God. I want to be a girl who knows the word- who studies the Bible- as much as I study for my nursing test.

Imagine that? Imagine if I studied my Bible as much as I studied cancer, or hypertension. Imagine if we knew the word of God?

And then prayer. My prayer life is sad. It's inefficient. It's not making the cut. And I pray mind you, but not enough. What if my prayers were more faith-filled? What if I prayed like I believed I was living in the last days? What if I started each day and ended each day in QUALITY prayer time? How much more would I experience Jesus' power and peace.

So I'm confessing this because it's not ok. It's not ok for me to think that studying school is more important than understanding the word of God. It's not ok for my thoughts to be lustful and thinking of selfishness. My whole life must be transformed by the glory of God so that the thoughts of me are less and less and Christ is more and more.

Maybe your like me? Maybe you've realized that you too have fallen short of God's calling. You know what? It's ok. God does not anger with us. He is patient and He is eager to teach us and transform us into people who can represent His name.

Philippians 1:6 says "Being confident of this that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Chris Jesus."

If God has revealed something to you that's on your heart that He would like you to change, then let's be faithful, let's be perseverant, let's be studious, let's be servants who are willing to change and who seek the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment