Wednesday, December 30, 2015

FEELINGS

You know the feeling. I don't want to pray right now, I don't feel close to God, I don't feel like opening my Bible. Instead I feel like (you insert the blank).

According to the Myers Briggs personality test, I tend to value thought and reason over emotion. Yet that does not excuse me from making stupid decisions due to uncontrolled spirit of mind. I often find myself watching a feel good movie that isn't best for me, eating something that does not nourish my body, saying harsh words that do not edify others, or stupidly making comments or texts that I do not mean. Why? Because it feels nice, it feels right, at the time it is what I want and it seems ok. And I don't feel like praying about it.

Yet Proverbs 12:15 says that a fool is right in his own eyes and Proverbs 14:12 that there is a way that seems right to a man that in the end leads to death. And James 4:7 that if we could only learn to submit ourselves fully to Christ the Devil the one who is tempting us would flee.

If we want to follow God then we must learn to not live by feelings and instead to live by prayer. Indeed we cannot be ruled by our stomachs, our lustful minds, our intemperant spirits- but we must learn to submit each and every part of our body to Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says that we should learn to pray without ceasing. To which my selfish soul asks the question "How can I pray when I don't feel like praying? What do I do when I don't feel God?"

And the answer I know from the bottom of my heart is..
Pray anyways. --That this time when you don't feel God is when you need to pray the most.

A quote from Shade of His Hand says "If a man cannot prove his religion in the valley, it is not worth anything."

Our relationship with God is not based on feelings. At times we will feel the more in love than we could ever express but at times we will not feel God and I believe these are times when we must know God, remember God, what he has done for us and how faithful He has been and we must be faithful to pray anyways, to love anyways, to read our Bibles anyways.

For the Devil is at work. This is war. If he knows that we live by feelings he will do everything in our power to make us not want to read our Bibles or pray.

So let us rise up. Let us overcome. Let us not act by feelings or impulses but by the power of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment