Monday, December 7, 2015

college in perspective

I was talking to a guy in the gym the other night when the conversation turned to Christianity and he recited a scriptural reference to the verse. Immediately I was taken back. I mean, I know scriptures but I don't always remember their references and their are not that many people at our school who can quote the Word of God.  As I continued to talk to Him, He added about four more scriptural quotes to our conversation and I was like "Ok, this man knows his stuff." But then two minutes later he mentioned he was a theo major and I had to sigh.

Are the only people who memorize scriptures these days pastors?
What if we studied the Word of God as much as we studied for our classes?
What if we stressed out for our sins as much as we do for finals?

Honestly, I believe it is so easy to turn our college degrees into bragging rights, trophies, and idols and studying into selfishness..
"What's your major?" becomes your identity- it's who you are- and it shouldn't be- because it was never meant to be about us.
In fact if we look at Jesus, He was the carpenter, the untypical Rabbi that said ANYONE (not just the best students) could follow Him.
Everything we do should be about making us less and Christ more.

If we don't know our Bibles then how can we stand up for what we believe?
If we aren't spending time in the Scriptures every day then how we can love people throughout our work?

This video is really good. I encourage you guys to check it out and to remember to glorify God in everything you do (eating, sleeping, studying, flirting, working out, talking, and serving). https://vimeo.com/128292930

1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, this is your spiritual act of worship.




No comments:

Post a Comment