Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wrestling with myself

Are you prepared to wrestle?

Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Oh how the Devil loves to confuse us. If he can just get us to focus enough on the things of this world or our own faces in the mirror... then He will deceive us to miss out on the treasures of heaven and will have us sitting sidelines of the battle of the Lord. He will first have us sitting in complacency daydreaming about diamonds and gold rings and next thing we know we will have fallen asleep, on the sofa by the side of the tv to the right of the Garden of Gethsemane, forgetting to fight Satan's temptations off, so we could carry our cross with Christ.

Are you ready to fight yourself? To go to the ground and fight with your selfish desires, with the Devil, with your doubts, with your hard heart.. until you finally reach the point of the perfect melody- Surrender.

Jesus wants everything. 
I must give up everything.
The cost to me is everything..
And yet compared to His sacrifice for me, it is nothing.

I believe whole heartedly that there are many people at my school, at my church, and in my country of America that profess to be Christians and yet deny Him each and every day for this world. I see it all the time. I watch my friends go to church and text their boyfriends the entire time during the message. I listen as they share about their commitment to Jesus and then I watch them dance to secular music and watch R rated movies that night. I see them use manipulation on their friends. I watch them exclude the fat girl. My friends, this cannot be. This is not the lifestyle to which Christ calls us. We cannot choose when and where to be nice, when to be Godly and when to witness for Jesus. "We are always witnesses the question is to whom or to what."

It seems we have confused the American dream with the Christian society. We have made it ok and even a glorified image to "have our cake and eat it too". To be Christian supermodels who make lots of money, live in clean, big houses, have perfect sized families, don't smoke, and attend church. Yet what about when God asks us to stop wearing makeup, to do the janitorial job instead of taking the job promotion, to sacrifice our families for the name of Christ, to give more to others than keep for ourselves? What do we do when Christ calls us out of the world?

Christ wants everything. We cannot hold one thing back. Knowing God requires perfect surrender, perfect trust. It's not something we have to do alone but it's a process God wants to lead us through. He will help us wrestle against our sins, temptations, selfishness.. He is willing to get down on the ground of the rink with us. It is necessary for us to struggle to grow. The greatest problems in life are not our circumstances but our own selfish hearts (EGW).

If you are like me, then you find each day to be a constant fight of surrendering. Surrendering my lustful thoughts, my selfish desires, my fears, my lack of trust, my desire to put myself first... I find myself fighting each and every day and sometimes it feels like I have lost the battle...

But let me encourage you. If you are still fighting, you are not losing. Because God is with you on the ground helping you. When you are weak, He is strong. When you give your life to Him, He molds you; He changes you; He remakes you into a warrior.

Slowly each and every day we say:  God I give this to you. I give everything to you. I choose to lay face first on the ground in total surrender and humble abandonment God says I will glorify myself through you. This wrestling thing turns into a beautiful thing, a beautiful process, a transformation, and something of joy because it happens with Christ's arms around me.. and somehow, in some way, this wrestlinig thing is transformed into a beautiful love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment