Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Prayer

Yesterday I was playing short stop in softball, one of my most favorite all time games when a bouncy ball came up unexpectedly and smacked me in the chin. It hit me hard in the best place possible leaving only four little marks almost like little lion lines. But if the ball would have gone just a little bit higher or to the side it would have either knocked out my teeth, busted my jaw, or something quite terrible.

Before practice, I had prayed for God's protection and maybe you find it funny that I'm thankful about being hit by a softball. But trust me sports are dangerous and mouth injuries are not cool. In the Bible it says that all good gifts are from the Lord, so I'm going to thank God for His protection over me.

Sometimes though I have to wonder about prayer: like when does God step in and intercede for us? And maybe your thinking Well whenever He wants too... Sure I agree, but doesn't God always want to help His children?

Then like what if someone forgets to pray? Will God forget to protect them? I think and hope not. Yet will the extra prayer of safety make a difference? I believe somehow so.

Once in Peru one of my good teachers got sick with Dengue fever. She asked my friend and I to pray for her. We got distracted with mission work and life (and I know this is horrible!) but we forgot. It happens ok. I know you are guilty too of forgetting to pray for someone.... Well four days later this beautiful woman named Carmen died.

Imagine the guilt we had, the sorrow, the shock. But it really made me wonder. What if? What if I prayed? Could I have made a difference? Could my prayers have saved a life?

Go back to the Garden of Gethsemane that day when Jesus needed His disciples prayer, and yet they were sleeping. Would their prayers have changed the situation and helped Christ? Jesus asked them to pray for a reason..

He asks us to pray for our Father and Jesus even prays for us! Isn't that crazy? I can't even wrap my head around that. Why would Jesus pray for us? It must be important. Prayer must be powerful. Just imagine if God's people prayed, really prayed. How could prayer change our lives? How could prayer help our friends and help the world?

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Jesus teach us how to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment