Thursday, August 13, 2015

The sweetest talk

"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up." Deuteronomy 6:6-7

If we are Christ’s, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. EGW- DOA

How often we love to share with friends our achievements or our silly stories. We love to laugh about the latest presidential elections, we make jokes about our past vacations, we share about our families: the good and bad. But why so often, with people we love, do we forget to talk about our beloved Savior?

Why is it so easy to talk about anything with anyone? But yet when we bring up the name of Jesus, people start to get offended, people shudder, hearts' start beating.. Is the impact of the talk of Jesus and His name not testimony enough that Jesus is real and the effects of His Holy Spirit and the fellowship of the saints has power.

Why is it so hard to mention the name Jesus to the lady at the market or the little boy in the road. It's like, I have no problem mentioning the beautiful whether but my priceless Jesus.. it really makes me hesitate.. Should I talk about Him here?

Should I be ashamed of His name?
Should I be careful to where I spread His glory?
Does his name bring offense or is improper to speak of with children?

Do I love to talk about Jesus? Are am I afraid? Am I timid? Am I ashamed? Why do we hesitate?

My grandmother passed away 2 years ago and I will never forget one thing she always told me. She always asked me at meal times if I remembered to pray. If I said I didn't she would gently remind me "Never forget to bow your head, close your eyes, and pray to Jesus in public so that you can bring attention to His name." A year ago, I realized the importance of what she had to say.

When I was younger, I would be embarrassed to pray and I would silently say a prayer. But then I began to understand that Christ calls us to bring attention to His glory, to show the world His beauty. This is our purpose in life to glorify Him through our actions and loving relationships.

How can I bring attention to Jesus if I am afraid or ashamed?

Christ does not call us to be timid. He is gentle with us and works with our weaknesses but His Spirit is bold and real and alive.

 To love is to step out: to speak words that need to be heard. To tell about Jesus wherever we may go. To shout the Savior's love in the marketplace, the shopping mall, and the college cafeteria. To speak softly, humbly, and boldly at the time He calls.



No comments:

Post a Comment