Saturday, June 27, 2015

Look Up

My summer camp job this year is spiritual director which is a great opportunity but it also means a lot of time in the office. Sometimes this makes me frustrated, because I love being outside with the kids at camp, down at the lake driving the boat, or playing sports with them. One of the things I am grateful for this summer is that I get to teach some of the smaller kids who live here at this camp how to swim. I teach a seven, eight, and nine year old boy and they are so precious.

One of the boys named Tony was so afraid of the water before he started swimming lessons with me. About two days ago he swam a few feet to the side and excitedly cried out "I swum I swum!" I was so proud of him! Sometimes, though Tony may get afraid in the water and feel like he is drowning. As soon as I see that he is struggling, I swim to get him and tell them "Keep your eyes on me."

If Tony keeps looking at me, he will automatically be treading water, just like I taught him to do and the treading water will last until I can swim all the way over to him so that he won't drown. However if he forgets to look at me or looks at the water below him because of fear, he will start to sink.

I think there is a great lesson in this story. You see, often we seem to feel like we are drowning. We think to ourselves "We can't do this" even though our heavenly Father knows that we can. Situations, waves, fears, insecurities cloud our mind and we cry out to God "Help me please; Save me".

Our heavenly Father always hears our prayers and I do believe that He always rescues. But sometimes he asks us to tread water for a little bit.

If we will listen to him in the storms or in our doubts as he cries "Look at me; Focus on me. Focus on me despite that death. Pray about it instead of worrying. Trust me with your financial situation." If we will hear his calm voice and we will obey keeping our eyes on heavenly things and not on this falling world, we too will swim even when we feel as if we are sinking. And surely, maybe slowly to our impatient perspectives, but certainly, Christ himself will jump into the water and rescue our souls.

Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment