Sunday, May 10, 2015

What can I give to Jesus?

"All about that base, bout that base- no trouble.
This is my fight song- take back my life song
Lately I've been, dreaming about the things that we could be.."

"What can you give to Jesus?" the pastor questioned? What small things have you let creep in to your life that are not God's? Things that may seem like no big deal- can slowly but surely pry us away from our Lord? So will you give God your all? Will you give Him the only thing you have control of- your small decisions.. so that God can have control of your life and help you to make the bigger decisions later on?

"Just a little bit", "everyone else is doing it", "I have the right intentions"-- these are lies of the devil.
Everyone has different small things that tempt them. Music, sugar, movies, Facebook, mirrors, makeup, video games, infatuation.. small things that often don't seem to make a big difference. But in the end I believe we will realize that it's small acts that add up to transform our lives.

For me, among a few other things, God is calling me to give up non-Christian music. I never thought music could become a problem for me because I have always been a big Christian music lover and I've never wanted to listen to secular music-- That is until I went to Peru, where many of my fellow missionaries frequently had dance parties. The music was catchy and fun and I found myself being sucked in to dancing and "chilling out" with my friends. As we rode in our Gringo van together we would blast the music all over town singing, dancing, and laughing our heads off.-- Inside I felt that secular music was bad and knew I probably shouldn't listen to too much of that music. Yet I didn't really feel as if listening to a little bit was a sin and I thought that as long as I limited the secular music to with my friends and still just listened to Christian music on my own, I would be fine.

I think what's God taught me recently is He doesn't want to live our lives constantly pushing the lines and worrying about what is a sin and what is not. He wants us to serve Him, to think of Him, and to destroy anything that doesn't glorify Him because of how much we love Him. So often people make a bunch of rules about what we have to do to follow Jesus but the truth is we should do everything we do because we want to glorify God and we want to give Him our best. The little things we spend time doing: listening to music, watching movies, playing games, how we eat, how we act with our friends- these little things matter to God.

I know for me I've recently realized that I can listen to Christian music most of the day and hear one secular song and have the beat of that one secular song stuck in my head all day long. And while I'm humming the song to myself, I do not feel closer to Jesus- in fact I feel like I belong closer to this world. It's just one little thing Satan tries to use to distract our minds from Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:12 says "Everything is permissible for me- but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.

May we ask Jesus what gift we may give Him. What can we surrender to Him that we are holding onto? May He transform our hearts and minds to think pure and undefiled thoughts that we may bring glory to His name wherever we may walk.










No comments:

Post a Comment