Monday, May 18, 2015

Fear vs Faith

My biggest fear is the people I love getting hurt. I can replay the moments, the times, when they have been injured: when my dad broke his arm and leg while I was at Disney Land and had to get pins, when my brother had a motorcycle accident in supercross and had to get stitches, when my daddy got stung by a sting ray, when my brother tore his acl and broke his arm and needed surgery, when my mommy broke her leg at summer camp. I HATE it when my family gets hurt. I would rather me get hurt. I would do anything not to see them in the pain. The fear cripples me to a certain extent because I don't want my family to try anything crazy ( no wakeboarding backflips- is that really too much to ask?) but for my dad and brother, RISK is life.

They are almost fearless. My brother and dad both ride motorcycles. My dad used to race and my brother has been racing since he was three. They jump and ride, they go off all the obstacles at the wakeboard park, they river raft the scariest river- my brother and dad are not afraid to get hurt. They are not afraid to take risks. In fact, they are not afraid of much at all. They have so much faith in their abilities and I guess for them they don't see the use in worrying about the "what ifs".

How does fear relate to our spiritual life? I believe that fear is the opposite of faith. That fear is saying "I don't trust you" and that faith is saying "I trust you fully". Fear is what killed Jesus: the people were afraid of his power they couldn't control. Faith is what gave the blind man sight and raised Lazarus back to life.

1 John 5:4 says For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

Faith is our power to overcome: to overcome our fears, to overcome sin, to overcome Satan's lies and temptations. If we do not have faith, we are slaves to free. But Christ came to set us free so let us live freely indeed.


Jesus help me not be afraid- but to have complete faith in your plans for my life.
I know you call me to "fear no evil" when I choose to follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment