Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"I love you"

"I love you"- three short words that can make people do crazy things. I have this really funny habit of always telling my friends and family when I talk to them on the phone that I love them. Like no matter what the conversation, when it's time to say goodbye I always find it so hard and I have to get in the last words "I love you". And then when they say I love you too.Goodbye. I say Bye love you again just so that I can say it last.

It's funny because often as humans we misunderstand or misuse the word love. One of my favorite definitions of love is doing the best thing for someone else without thinking of yourself. Agape love is selfless, unconditional love- the love that Christ has for us and asks us to strive to love others with. Often when we think about the word love we think about Christ's sacrifice on the cross- the ultimate demonstration- of agape. Sometimes we forget that the Bible is also an amazing book of love.

It's easy to fall into a cycle of thinking about the Bible as a textbook that we must study and memorize because we need too or out of obligation. Or sometimes we think of the Bible as a bunch of rules that we must follow in order to get to heaven. But Christ- the ultimate author- must feel a little sad and disheartened when we take His book to mean so little because ultimately the Bible is a book of love.

Christ uses every excuse and opportunity to tell us once again "I love you." "I agape you."

John 15:15 says  No longer do I call you servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I heard from my Father, I have made known unto you.

Have you ever had a guy or girl you like write you letters? Not just the everyday informational writings but letters full of character, full of emotion, thought, feeling, and passion. While you wait for the next letter to be delivered, you are just so full of anticipation and when you read the letter you just have this feeling of joy-- that's how the Bible should be for us. It should be life changing and it should bring us joy and show us the love of Christ =)

No comments:

Post a Comment