Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Sleep Walking

Everyone's asking why all the youth are leaving the church
Maybe because it looks, feels, and smells like a foul cemetery. (ouch =/)

Why is it so easy to sleepwalk through spirituality, sermons, church, Bible classes?
Where is the meaning?
The point where it truly comes alive?
How can we know so much and experience so little?

"I'm tired of reading the Bible"
"I'm tired of turning on sermons and multi tasking and getting bored"
"I'm tired of being in Bible studies with fakes"
"I'm tired of people pretending to have it all together."
"I'm tired of feeling all alone when I should have brothers and sisters in the church."

I've seen alot of my friends fall away from God. Friends I thought had great relationships with Him chose to leave their faith-all of it- on the table in the search of something more. Something they weren't programmed to believe, something they could actually feel. And I've looked at them and questioned how it could happen, but then lately I've realized how easy it is to fall asleep and simply go through the motions in zombie- dream mode. How do we experience God, and develop a relationship with Him that's personable and meaningful instead of simply learning more knowledge?

This zeal for God.. this on fire, burning alive "Holy Spirit" passion is the only thing that will attract others to Christ. Nonbelievers want to argue science or logic with you, they have done their research. But what they lack is life, passion, purpose, hope, love, and joy.

But so often I look around me and I feel it's SO EASY to just fall in the cracks and lay on the churches grave with the sign "Christian check box here" and barely survive. It's so easy just to miss the Holy Spirit and just receive more facts... and like an overplayed song or workout the Bible just seems so boring.

It's funny because finals are coming up and I have this computer class that totally annoys me. The entire semester I have barely gotten by, mostly asking the computer class tutor to show me the correct answers without truly understanding the meaning. I have put in about an hour or two a week- the absolute minimum required for a descent grade- and it's all been fine, good and well, low A.

The problem comes now that we have a final exam- the TEST- for the computer class on Friday and because I have not understood anything that happened all semester, I doubt that I will be able to pull off a good score. The test will reveal my lack of zeal, dedication, and understanding for the subject of computers.

It may seem relatively easy to "scrape by" as a Christian. You may look around and find that you are in great company putting in the "minimum" or an hour to two a week- you know a five minute devotional every day. You do the drill, you're kind to others, and you even give $30 to charity around Christmas time. Yes you may feel like you have a descent grade and you are doing just fine in God's eyes. But what about when the testing day comes?

Is the Holy Spirit alive in you? This is the test of a true Christ follower =)

Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Titus 3:7
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.






No comments:

Post a Comment