Friday, December 19, 2014

Burnt out on church?

There's this controversial article I find amusing about taking a break from church.
Read it here: http://theamericanjesus.net/2013/10/18/taking-a-sabbatical-from-church-2/
What are your thoughts?

On one side, I think it's a good idea to take a short break from church if you are not worshiping God there. I agree that it's a good idea to cut back on ministry and church activities and instead pursue prayer and simple meditation in God's word.

On the other hand, it seems a simple fallacy that stopping church attendance will miraculously help your spiritual life. I feel like the true reason why we are getting burnt out and why young people may be leaving the church is because they are not experiencing God. Maybe a person has wrong priorities, wrong motivation, or has a sin that is keeping them away from encountering Christ.

If only we could see God's plans for our lives and the adventures He wants to take us on- the things He wants to do in us. Our lives would be set on fire. But so often we lose Him.. and if we lose sight of Him we can no longer be the light or the salt for other people.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? Matthew 5:13

Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment