Thursday, November 27, 2014

Why I deleted my facebook account

I deleted my Facebook account for similar reasons why I stopped eating sugar for two weeks before thanksgiving- it's just not healthy for me.

One of my friends deleted her Facebook account about a year ago so I guess you could say she was part of my motivation. She deleted hers because she said she was addicted. When she told me, I was like well that's cool for you, but I didn't feel like Facebook was "that" distracting for me. I guess you could say I changed my mind.

I still wouldn't say I'm quote on quote "Addicted to Facebook. I really don't care that much. I go on a few times a day when I'm bored. Sometimes though I take cute pictures and post them there and I admit I like to see people's reactions and comments or how many people "like" my picture. Sometimes with friends I haven't seen in a while or a cute guy, I will facebook stock them. Ok don't judge me, you know you do it too ;) I don't "really" stock them I just look at their page for a few minutes and then say "ok they're cool" or "wow what a nice life they have". If I post something on Facebook that nobody likes I start to feel bad and wonder if I don't have any friends. If I post something that everyone is commenting on, I start to feel cool.

Now you may identify with some of the things I've written about Facebook but I have a few problems with it. I'm not encouraging everyone to delete Facebook and social media, I'm just encouraging you to question your motives and how much time you spend on there.

1. Time Waster
 I don't want to spend 15 minutes to forty-five minutes of my bored time each day on Facebook. When I don't know what to do I don't want to instinctively type in Facebook without thinking. It's a waste of time. Facebook rarely makes me feel better about myself and if it does it makes me feel prideful or cocky, not humble. I don't want to waste my time and I'd rather use "waiting time" or free time to study God's word, memorize Bible verses, exercise, or actually talk to a friend (like looking at their REAL face).

2. Fake Friendships
 I'm decieving myself into thinking I'm investing into relationships by checking up on my friends on facebook and seeing what everyone is doing. The truth is my friends don't learn how much I really care about them and I don't learn what's really going on in their lives.

* Nobody posts the sad, depressing, or hard things on Facebook. Only the prettiest, most photo shopped pictures with encouraging words are written. I look at my friends and say wow their life is going great, glad they don't need my help. It's SO FAKE. (I talked to my cousin the other day and told her I had a harder semester adjusting back to college. She was like "really? Your Facebook makes it look like you are having so much fun and have so many friends?") Since when does Facebook really tell us the truth about others?

3. I don't want Facebook to have the power to control my emotions.
If people like my pictures, who cares. If people write on my wall, that's great.
If people don't like my status, life goes on. I don't want to get happy or sad about it. I don't want to feel lonely when I go on Facebook and have no posts on my wall. I don't want to feel popular if I'm not when people like my pictures (people who aren't even my friends).

It might be hard for me deleting my Facebook. I think there are a few things I will miss out on like not knowing all the things that happen to friends who are far away or my friends in Peru. But I do believe that God told us to invest in relationships, and most importantly relationships that are around us. I want to put more time into creating more real friendships with people I see every day and care about then trying to sustain relationships with friends I may never see again. I don't want to look at my Facebook notifications on my phone when I get up in the morning before I get on my knees and pray to God. I encourage you to be careful where you spend your time evaluate if Facebook is helping you or distracting you from your walk from God.





No comments:

Post a Comment