Monday, November 24, 2014

Beyond I'm Sorry

The hardest part of saying I'm sorry is forgiving yourself.

Have you ever done something awful? Something hurtful, unfair, unjust to someone you actually loved. When you know that you have hurt them in a big way, your heart just aches because of how much you care for them. Sometimes you didn't even mean to do that awful thing.

Both Satan and Jesus notice your weakness. They both see how bad you feel. The difference is in their reactions.

Christ says come to me. Let me hold you and cry with you over the pain you have caused. Afterwards let me take your sin and cast it into the sea. And let's forget about it. Remember when I sent my precious son to die on the cross for your sins? He covered that- he covered YOU. I free you from those feelings of guilt and shame and entrapment? Go be free my child and experience joy.

Satan says "It's your fault. You fell short of God's glory. You are an ugly sinful creature. You will never be free. You need to do more to fix it. You are unworthy."

Who will you believe? Who will you follow?

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Psalm 103:12 He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.

Now to those who have been hurt. We have all been. We are all wounded soldiers in a cruel and unjust battle. Yet because we have been forgiven such a debt by the King Himself, how dare we think to not forgive our brethren? 

Yes it's hard but yes it's possible. Christ says we can't forgive when we feel about it or when we are ready. But He says we will be forgiven as we forgive the people around us who hurt us. Yes our scars are deep, our pain is real, but until we forgive we cannot truly be healed.

Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

"Father release me from my shame and doubt. Help me to learn who you are that I might constantly imitate your character. Forgive me for the things I do that hurt the people around me. Truly, I am sorry Lord and I ask that you continue to mold me as you have promised to do until the day of Christ Jesus. I also pray that you help me to forgive those who have hurt me so that I do not need to be a victim. You have saved me and you have the power to make me whole again. I trust in your name and praise you for your love and grace. In your precious name alone I pray- amen"

1 comment:

  1. This helped me today ... Thank you Brooke. Teresa O.

    ReplyDelete