Monday, September 22, 2014

Zephaniah 3:17

I found the most beautiful promise today from God's Word in Zephaniah 3:17.

"The Lord your God in your midst,
 the Mighty One will save;
He will rejoice over YOU with gladness;
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.

This verse says that no matter where I am the Lord is with me in my midst and He will always save me. He is Always going to defend me, always going to support me, always going to give me His hand when I'm falling or shaky. Not only that but He delights in me- I captivate Him and He sings over me saying "this is my child- this is my daughter."

I think often as girls we seek these saving characteristics from a male figure like a boyfriend or a father. We often see these guys as our protectors and we to look to them for approval, we look to them for help when we are weak, and we want them to save us. And I believe there is nothing wrong with letting a guy help us and that a true guy should stand up for a girl and fathers should love and encourage their daughters BUT I also believe so often because we as girls don't realize that we already have a Superhero and Super-Savior we try to make our boyfriends or fathers play that role- and I believe that's wrong. Guys aren't perfect and although often they want to help us- we can't expect them to always fill up our hearts with exactly what we need- that's what God is for. I believe that we are created with a longing for intimacy and the deepest intimacy we will ever find is in Christ. And only after we find that deepest intimacy can we begin to understand what real intimacy with a guy can begin to look like. So this promise is so fulfilling because no matter who you are, and if you have a great boyfriend or not or if you have a family- or even if you are all alone- God still wants to be the intimate lover of your soul. He seeks us- He loves us- and when we let Him into our hearts we will realize how crazy and mind-boggling this love that He has for us is- because it's unexplainable and inconceivable.

Then I love the part of this verse that says "He will quiet you with His love" because I think so often we get worked up, and I know for sure when I get worked up, we just want to get angry and upset and tell other people and throw a fit or make a scene. But God speaks in a whisper and He wants to quiet us. He wants us to have peace no matter what we are going through and He says breathe "breathe in my spirit" and perservere. In quietness- seek my face. And I love this because this is exactly what I need when I'm freaking out- I need God's peace- I need to stop and listen to His voice.

The third and fifth lines of the verse say that God will rejoice over us. God loves us so much that He will sing over us because He sees us as His beautiful creation.

So I pray that the promise of Zephaniah 3:17 can encourage your heart and that you will let God save you, that you will let God quiet you down when you are angry or stressed, and that you will realize God is so captivated by you that He is singing about you- His child.

No comments:

Post a Comment