Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jesus- the comforter


God's timing is pretty cool because this week my life-group is memorizing Bible verses about God as the great Comforter. Through the Bible, God wants to comfort us with whatever hard times we are facing and he wants to just help us with our life. Psalm 46:1 says "God is our refuge and strength a very present help in trouble." And Romans 15:4 says "For Whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4. Thus the Bible was not written to condemn us or just to inform us- but to give us hope and comfort.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Isaiah 66:13 that says "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem." To me this is beyond beautiful because if you have a great mother, then you know that when anything goes wrong- whether you get hurt, have a bad day, or just need support- you can always run into your mom's arms and nobody can love you the way she does because no one understands you like a mother understands her own child. So if God would comfort me as a mother comforts her own child- then I can have faith- that if I run to God with my burdens, with my tears, with my stress- that He because He knows me better than myself- knows in which way I need to be filled and will comfort my soul and restore me within with gentleness, compassion, and love.

Proverbs 30:5 also describes God's word as a shield- which may on first impression not seem comfort-related. But when we think about how we are in warfare- a spiritual warfare where reality is often hidden and illusioned (the fight between Satan and Jesus for our eternal destiny) and often we are so distracted with meaningless things of this world- in this spiritual warfare, Satan is throwing things at us to try and destroy us. He is throwing temptations at us. He is telling us lies about our selves, about our sexuality, and He's trying to tell us lies about Christ Himself- yet God as the shield- would provide the ultimate source of comfort because He would be providing the ultimate source of protection. The shield takes our hits- covers us up with love- and says "I will take care of that today" so that we can be free of worry, stress, and evil desires if we only rest in Jesus Christ and His comfort and peace. 

Thus may we trust God to be our comforter, to be our shield, and to comfort us like a mother comforts her own child. And may we rest in God's peace in love.




No comments:

Post a Comment