Friday, April 25, 2014

My Birthday

Just two days ago I was saying many goodbyes to friends and teachers I had made at the school. I received over 100 kisses. The children were so very sweet and gave us all presents too. While we were waiting for one of the classes to start, we started talking with a young man who was a teacher at the school. He told us thank you and that we were making a big difference. Then he asked us how old we were. I said 19 and he looked at me and said oh your just a baby.

He then proceeded to tell Bernice and I about his daughter. His daughter who would be 30 this year but died when she was only 20 years old. She died on a bus accident coming home from Lima to Pucallpa back to her family. We felt for this man- there was a closeness and a bond that we shared together and he made a lasting impression in my heart.

As this is now my day of birth, and I'm 20 years old, I can't help but think about our friend at the school and his beautiful daughter who unexpectedly died that day. We can't take our life for granted. Each day is a blessing and a gift from God the Creator Himself. We can't waste our life.

This year has taught me so much about God, the world, and service. I've learned that my life really isn't about me. It's about Christ. To waste your life is to focus on this earth, your things, your grades and forget about the only thing that really matters. If you were to die today, so many of the things that we worried about and strived for day and day in and out would be meaningless. But our decisions to glorify Christ and endure hardships for His name, would be rewarded.

Today I want to praise God for being with me this year and coming through for me in the times I needed Him most. I want to thank God for the most supporting and loving family I could ever imagine having. I want to say thank you to all my friends who have encouraged me while I'm here and I want to tell you that I love you. I pray that God will continue to lead and guide me and help me to not waste my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment