Tuesday, April 22, 2014

May 22nd- reflections of Peru

 Sometimes I dream in Spanish. Sometimes I moan on my bed making silly noises so that the missionaries in my room will laugh. Sometimes I sleep in a hammock. I always sleep in a mosquito net.

When I think of Peru I will think of faces. I will think of feelings. And I will remember what a beautiful place God brought me too. And I will praise Him for this time to learn and to grow and to see the world in a new way.

I have 8 more days left in Pucallpa, Peru and only 3 days until my 20th birthday. It's crazy to think how fast this year has gone by. It seems like just yesterday when I was giving my first shot, having an allergic reaction to lemons, going to the orphanage for the first time, playing in the rain with my best friends, and raising money for Christmas presents for the orphans. So much has happened this year- that it seems like I've been in Peru for an eternity.

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm going home. Home is something I've thought a lot about while I'm here. There have been many nights and even days when I've been desperately homesick longing for friends and family back in America. But now that home is so close- I don't know quite how I feel. While I'm psyched about seeing my mom, dad, and little brother I'm nervous about leaving behind Patty and Nikol and the orphanage. I'm nervous about saying goodbye to my swimming boys. And I'm especially sad to leave my SM family who are some of the best friends I've ever had and people I love the most.

I got a package from Southern with a book called "Re-Entry". It talks about readjusting back to American life. I know I will have some adjusting to do: no more just waking up and going out into the world, no more not wearing bras, having lice all the time, yelling across the house at my best friends... No more freezing cold showers, nasty parasites, or beautifully poor children either.

Dear Peru- I'm gonna miss you when I'm gone. I'm gonna miss you by your smiles. I'm gonna miss you by your rain. I'm gonna miss you when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment