Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Paralyzed man

Today we returned back to the house of the paralyzed man to clean his wounds. His wounds were so deep and we learned today that they were simply bed sores that hadn't been treated right. They are on his butt and treacherously painful to look at. He doesn't feel them apparently because he is paralyzed from the legs down because of a motorcar accident. He is only about 33 but he literally has no hope because he is stuck in a poor house, on a dirty hard bed for a long time.

I just don't think it is fair that a man so young should have to live like that, on a hard bed in pain, unable to move. I wish that there was some way I could send him to America because in America there is hope. Here in Pucallpa there is no hope for paralyzed people, and in our town of Puerto Carrera often little hope for healthy people that don't have money.

I can't help but think about the missionaries that are coming down to Peru later this year for a week or two. What if I had there plane ticket money? Instead of coming down to Peru I could send him to them and they could take care of him for 2 weeks?  What if I could send him to the states for a or a month or a year? What if I could get him the treatment he needed to be healthy and to have hope again? What if I could.. do something.. that would change his life forever?

It just makes me so sick and breaks my heart to see the poor, young man suffering like he is. He has so much potential for life. He used to be handsome. He used to be muscular. He has a strong faith in God. Why? I can't help but question God "Why did this happen?" "What's going to happen to him?" "Where is his hope?" Most of all God, "What can I do to help him?"

What if I had the faith to heal him? What if he had the faith to get healed? Would God heal him?

Mark 2:3-11
3 They brought a paraplegic to him, carried by four men. 4 When they weren't able to get in because of the crowd, they removed part of the roof and lowered the paraplegic on his stretcher.5 Impressed by their bold belief, Jesus said to the paraplegic, "Son, I forgive your sins." 6 Some religion scholars sitting there started whispering among themselves, 7 "He can't talk that way! That's blasphemy! God and only God can forgive sins." 8 Jesus knew right away what they were thinking, and said, "Why are you so skeptical? 9 Which is simpler: to say to the paraplegic, 'I forgive your sins,' or say, 'Get up, take your stretcher, and start walking'? 10 Well, just so it's clear that I'm the Son of Man and authorized to do either, or both . . ." (he looked now at the paraplegic), 11 "Get up. Pick up your stretcher and go home."

James 5:15
And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

James 5:3-15
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Acts 19:11-12
And God was doing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that even handkerchiefs or aprons that had touched his skin were carried away to the sick, and their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them

Acts 19 really amazes me. How did Paul receive so much power? He had so much faith so must trust in God. Paul was a missionary just like me. I really do believe that God wants to do miracles and reveal His glory even today. 

Matthew 17:14-20
And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him.” And Jesus answered, “O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me.” And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly. ...

This is more how I feel. I pray  for God to do something and when He doesn't do it, I say what did I do wrong? How do I receive the power to heal someone in Jesus' name? How do I receive the faith to believe that Jesus will heal someone? I believe that it is us that is lacking not Christ, no not Him the least. But we don't have any faith- we are so lukewarm-- God transform our hearts. God transform my hearts. And please don't fail to heal my friend because of my own lack of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment