Saturday, October 12, 2013

Overcoming Your Fears In Order To Follow Christ

Matthew 10:26-29 So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[a]

Something I'm learning alot about here in Peru is fears. Fears can either stop you from following Christ and His absolute purpose for your life or fears can fuel stronger faith in God. All true followers of God in the Bible had to overcome some fear or another. Yet also many people in Biblical days missed out on God's blessings or chose to deny Christ solely because of fear.

Knowing your fears and trusting in God to help you overcome them will make or break your relationship with Him.

So what are you afraid of? What makes you uncomfortable? What scares you?

Before I came to Peru here were some of my fears: Snakes, the medical field, giving shots and working in the clinic, losing my long hair ;) (ok maybe I framed that one a little since I now have dreads), getting my heart broken, sickness/ disease, being in a foreign country for an entire year...

God has really put me in situations here where I am forced to confront my fears face to face. When you ask God to help you with your fears and really just admit what you are afraid of, you can take a leap of faith and really praise God when He helps you overcome. That's what happened to me here with the medical field, the clinic, and being sick. It's really quite freeing not being afraid.

Fear is a result of sin and is a feeling of bondage that Satan wants us to have. Often it's impractical or unreasonable but Satan loves our fears because when we are afraid our eyes focus on the things we are afraid of (our troubles, problems, or tribulations) instead of on God's great plans for our live, His love, or His mercy.

As I was researching more about fear and preparing for my sermon I did today, I was really amazed with this fact: WE (the pharisees, jews, and chief priests) killed Jesus because we were afraid of Him.

That thought just baffles me. Surely the main reason behind us killing Jesus and sending Him to die on the cross wasn't that we were afraid was it? Would our fears really lead us to a sin so cruel? Would being afraid make us nail our perfect King to a cross to die? Read Mark 11:18.

Wow! FEAR led us to kill our Savior. Fear led the rich young ruler in the Gospels to miss out on following God because He was afraid to live life without all his stuff. Fear led Peter to deny Jesus after He said He wouldn't. After Jesus' death Peter was too scared to say that he knew him and was a follower. Fear led the Pharisees to hate Jesus and Pilot to give Barabbus over to the crowd.

Fear is a feeling that Satan loves. It makes us feel bonded to Him. Yet in 1 John 4:1 it says Perfect love casteth out all fear and that 's what Christ came to do for us. Christ loves us so much and offers us a peace that can cover any worry or fear this world can bring upon us.









No comments:

Post a Comment