Sunday, September 8, 2013

Service

Luke 22:27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
 
Romans 12:10-11 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.

This morning Megan, one of my fellow sm friends, had a great worship talk about service and the question was raised What does service mean to you?

The definition of service that ultimately came to my mind is simply loving others the way that Jesus Christ loves them. This kind of service involves unconditional love, self-sacrifice, and the utmost intentional putting-others-first kind of thinking.

The beautiful thing about service is it really changes both people: the server and the one being served. The person who serves is blessed with joy and love- knowing that they have made a positive difference in someone else's life. Yet service is not something we should do when we feel like it because we know it will benefit us. No, we are called and commanded to follow Jesus' example to live a life of service.

What is a life of service? What does it look like to have a "you first, me last" mentality? When you truly learn to live a life of service, you will always be full of gratitude because you will always be looking at the needs of other people instead of yourself. You will always be feeding your neighbors so much that you forget to cook for yourself. You will always be teaching others, helping others, and getting overused- just like Christ did. You will also find yourself experiencing and encountering love like you have never known before when you start to truly love and serve others.

Sure, I can say that I am devoting one year to the Lord of missionary service but really service should expound to all parts of our lives no matter where we are. When we truly learn to serve, our lives will be so transformed and we will begin to see ourselves and others in a different way. We will have so much more peace so much more joy- it's truly a miracle when God transforms our selfish hearts into hearts of service.

For me, I find the struggle with service to be shoved right into my face while I am here in Peru. It's not like you simply fly across the country and boom you are unselfish. I don't want to wake up and serve the people in the clinic every morning. Sometimes I get tired of talking and reaching out to the kids that hang out at our project. I simply don't feel like continuing to love them or show them Jesus, sometimes it seems so hard. It's definitely not something we can do on our own- we can't change our selfishness. But Christ can, and learning to serve like God requires a deliberate choice as well as prayer.

I love this song by Relient K. It's called Give Until There's Nothing Left
Here are the lyrics

No one told me the right way- the right way to go about this
So I'll figure it out for myself
Cause how much is too much to give you?
Well I may never know, so I'll just give until there's nothing left.

Yeah I'll give give give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left
I'll give

No one told me
How bad I need you (need you)
But I somehow arrived
To that conclusion all by myself (all by myself)
And I want
All you have to offer (to offer)
So I offer myself and I'll just give until there's nothing else

And I'll give give give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)

Give give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left to
Give give give (until there's nothing else)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left

Sometimes it seems
Like all I ever do
Is ask for things
Until I ask too much of you
But that's not the way (that's not the way)
I wanna live (I wanna live)
I need to change (I need to change)
But something's got to give
Yeah something's got to

Give give give (until there's nothing left)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give give (and I'll have no regrets)
I'll give until there's nothing left to give
Give give give (until there's nothing left)
Give my all (until it all runs out)
Give give
Give until there's nothing left
I'll give

No comments:

Post a Comment