Friday, September 20, 2013

Parasites and Green Hair

There's alot of disgusting things that happen to me and the other student missionaries here in Peru. Some of them may include constant sweat, never feeling totally clean, parasites, lice, bloatedness, diahreaa, and green hair. Just 2 days ago, I learned that I have parasites. Every missionary that comes and lives here will develop them after 10 days. It's disgusting but there is nothing we can really do about it. After 3 months, we will begin taking malaria medication similar to the medicine we give out daily in the clinic.This morning, I woke up and went outside shocked to see my blonde highlights a gross highlighted lime green. It's from swimming! I teach swimming lessons three times a week and already after only one day of swimming my hair is turning green. The chlorine is frying my hair and I don't know that much that I can do about it.

It's easy for me to think to myself "Wahhh I'm in Peru; it's so hard here. I have so many problems." Yet in contrast, I'm learning I have nothing to complain about and the utmost to be thankful for. Paul is a Biblical inspiration and role model to me.

Matthew 5:48 calls us to "Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

The Bible says multiple times not to complain and not to whine, but to be grateful for challenges that we can learn from or strengthen our walk with God from. Paul writes that We should do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit and in humility we should consider others better than ourselves. He says "continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and act according to his good purpose." (Philippians 2:13) "Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. But even as I am being poured out like a drink offereing on the sacrifice and service coming from faith. I am glad and rejoice with all of you..."

Paul continues to write "Whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things." (Philippians 3:7)

I have the utmost to be thankful for. Christ is with me and I have nothing to fear. I have friends who love me back here and back in America. I have family who is always loving me and praying for me back home. I have the opportunity to travel the world and the opportunity to experience a different way of living. I'm learning about the medical field and I'm learning Spanish.

I just want to encourage you, to find strength in God. No matter what you are going through, God wants to be your ever present help in trouble. He wants to be your Savior and He wants to rejoice over you with gladness. If you look to God, He will strengthen you and fill your heart with an everlasting abundance of joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment