Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Sunday


It’s Sunday- town day- and that makes me really happy. Today we had Pathfinders (Conquistadores) for the first time. I’m pretty excited about it starting even though it will be a lot of work. Pathfinders here is really official and the Peruvians take it very seriously. Marching and order is very important.
For today's pathfinders my friend Katie Kat and I spent about two hours squeezing lemons for fresh lemonade for all the Pathfinders. It was fun making the lemondade even though it took a long time. When it was done, it tasted so delicious.
 
In 5 weeks, we are having a Pathfinder camp out! Today we had a ton of games similar to a field day (tug of war, egg tosses, a water balloon fight, and an obstacle course). It was really amazing how well the kids listened and how excited they were to participate in all of the activities. To me, it reminded me of summer camp.

Tonight we start evangelism meetings that will last an entire week and next Saturday we will do baptisms. My job will be leading music for the program as well as helping with decorations.
 
Yesterday, the Sabbath program went well. We didn’t have to preach the sermon because a pastor came to our church and we were all quite thankful. It was our groups turn to run the Sabbath youth program from 4-6pm for kids and to end the Sabbath and it went pretty successfully. We had a lot of games planned as well as music. For Sabbath School, we did a craft where the kids drew a picture of something that reminded them of Jesus’s love on hearts with the verse John 3:16 on the front. We also wrote out some of the English songs we are trying to teach the kids on poster board. Next week, we are going to work on making up a little play in Spanish for the kids.

 
Today I am going to start my first dread! I can’t wait. You may be wondering what’s wrong with me, but really dreading my hair is something I’ve wanted to do for about a year now. I think it’s really cool and I just think it’s totally my style. Besides, my hair is turning a strong fluorescent green and green dreads are just too unique. So soon in a couple weeks, I will put up some pictures of my new hairstyle.

 
So I went to the pharmacy to get medication earlier this week and realized how much money it takes to keep the clinic running here. Medicine is so expensive! I was thinking about what I could do to help them and I have two ideas for next year when I get back to the states. My first idea is to host a Peruvian dinner with the sm missions department at Southern and all of my friends from here would cook Peruvian food and sell plates. My second idea is to sell some of the Peruvian jewelry they make here back home. Peruvian jewelry is really cheap like possibly about a dollar or less a piece. So I was thinking in the states that jewelry could sell for at least $5. It’s just an idea and I know I will be very busy when I get back into the states. Yet I am passionate about helping AMOR projects and continuing to be involved even when I leave here.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment