Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Taekwondo en Peru

Tonight I got to join in with about 10 other kids and 4 other SM's for Taekwondo class! It was super intense and a ton of fun- it made my day for sure. We did taekwondo which was a lot of pushups, squats, kicks, and running for an hour and a half. The class is Monday through Thursday and every Saturday evening and we can all attend for free and learn. We also went around the neighborhood recruiting kids to join in and learn Taekwondo. Taekwondo is hard but it's really cool learning. We learned pressure points and defensive moves. We also did 40 pushups in order to avoid being beaten with a stick. Ya no joke, our instructor really used a stick and hit a few people, that's what we call intense here in Peru. I'm excited to learn Taekwondo. It's been something I've wanted to try since I was a little kid.

This morning we ran the clinic again and I was in the pharmacy. It was a little easier today as slowly I am becoming more and more familiar with the different medicines. Kaity and I also passed out balloons, stickers, and coloring sheets to the kids waiting in the clinic for the doctor to see them. They would try to come in our little pharmacy area to talk to us and show us their coloring pages and we would politely try to get them to leave since we are the only ones allowed in there. The patients stand outside by the window and wait to receive their medication. Often there is a long line.

It's easy for me to become frustrated while in the pharmacy. This afternoon (we run clinic from about 8-1 am) I was exhausted and discouraged. I thought to myself there's no way that I can do this pharmacy thing all year long. I talked to Mr. Hawkins about it a little and he told me that the doctor said we would be learning all the different areas of the medical field and rotating around a little bit. That made me feel a little better I guess. Even if I don't love doing pharmacy, I do find learning about the different medicines and communicating with the patients interesting. The doctor said eventually we would learn what medicines mean what and what each of their purposes are. I do think that would be pretty cool. As for pharmacy itself, it takes a lot of patience and I will just have to rely on God to help me and keep me in good spirits if that is to be my job.

I'm pretty exhausted- yet again. We run long days here from 7 am to 9:30 or 10. I guess I should be sleeping now but more pictures are soon to come! Thanks for all the prayers- I definitely need them.


No comments:

Post a Comment