Thursday, August 29, 2013

Prayer: my evening worship talk

"We look upon prayer as a means of getting something for ourselves, the Bible idea of prayer is that we get to know God himself."- Oswald Chambers

I was thinking about what I should talk about for worship tomorrow night and the topic of prayer came to my mind. Prayer is something I struggle with a lot and I think it's probably a challenge at times for a lot of us. To pray we have to slow down, we have to listen, and we have to concentrate on Christ and not ourselves.
Have you ever heard the song "What if his people prayed?" It's by Casting Crowns and uber beautiful.
http://www.songlyrics.com/casting-crowns/what-if-his-people-prayed-lyrics/

I want you to close your eyes and just imagine for a few seconds if everyone here at AMOR prayed for the project, for the people we meet, and as we work in the clinic everyday. Imagine how different we would be and how much more effective our program would be.

What if we prayed like we actually believed Jesus would answer our prayers?
I know I know your like, I do believe Jesus answers my prayer, but my question is what if you prayed like that? What if you prayed expecting an answer every time you asked for something?

Whenever I prayed about whether or not I would come to AMOR projects here this year, it was the hardest I ever prayed about something before. I prayed hard because there were a lot of people telling me I was too young to go this year and that I should wait. I told God that I didn't want to go unless I was 100% sure that's where He was calling me. And He completely answered my prayer giving me 4 different signs including 3 shooting stars telling me that I should go here.

What He taught me is that if we truly seek Him, we won't have to wonder what His will for us is, we will know without a doubt. If we seek God, we will find Him.

So I just encourage each of you to really focus on prayer today and just this year while you are here. That you seek God in everything you do, because how much your looking for Him determines How much you'll find Him. Really slow down and take the time to pray throughout and with everything you do.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment