Thursday, August 1, 2013

Help we're Americans

When I walk around in Korea- everyone turns to look at me. They ask me if I want forks at restaurants. They make small talk or try to sell me things thinking I am rich. They think I am special because I am American. They think I am weird.

I've traveled to Mexico, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, and now here. Every country I have been too, people treat me specially. Extra nice- like I am a rich celebrity.

I think they are weird. Why are they so nice? Why do they care so much about us? Why are we so different than them?

We, Americans, are strange people! We are disturbed. We have issues. We walk around thinking that everyone is like us just in different colors. We don't realize we are lost and confused- deceived by some "American dream" while other countries are finding God, truth, and relationships.

We think that everyone dreams like us, loves like us, and lives like us.
We dream about ourselves. We love our sexy girlfriend/boyfriend, until we get tired of them. We live insecure and depressed lives worrying about money and what other people think about us.
We are confused!
We pretend to feel bad for the rest of the world. We might even shed a few tears sometimes but we get over it quickly. We feel bad for the other people and countries because we think they are poor and dying all the time.

We, Americans, are the lost ones. We are the rich ones yet we are the insecure ones. They are happy and we are depressed. They have Jesus and we have ourself and our stuff. Us American Christians fit the Laodicean description perfectly: Revelation 3:14-22.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.” Matthew 13:44

How many of us Americans would sell everything they have for Jesus?
You think that's just a story, just a parable? Do you not think Jesus means what He says? What about when He says it's easier for a camel to go through an eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven? We are rich you know? 53% of the world lives on $2 a day or less, we live on about 100 times that much.

Luke 18:18-20 
18 A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”.. You lack this one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven- then come follow me."

"I've got a sickness and it's called comfort. And maybe I'm just not strong enough to be here" This is why I'm going to Peru. I want Jesus more than college. I want Jesus more than my comforting family and friends. I want Jesus. I'm tired of living for myself. I'm not going to help the hurting- I want to help them- but before I can show them Jesus- I have to find Him more for myself. I'm going to Peru because I choose Jesus; I choose to seek Him more than anything else. I trust Him and I trust He will use me, but I'm tired of being lukewarm.



No comments:

Post a Comment