Friday, August 16, 2013

Does he know me?

I'd like to classify a few kinds of Christians. These are just a few generic types of people you can find in the church.

* Evangelical Christians- Passionate about God and sharing His word.
Good-intentioned Christians- People who understand God's will for their lives and the theology- But lack of effort in sharing God's love or following God's will
* Lukewarm Christians- Christians who are content with going to church once a week, twice a week, ect... they are content with their current relationship with God
* Judgemental Christians- Christians who live by rules and judge others whose views differ from them
* Bitter/ Fake Christians- Christians who go to church for a few different reasons but are not really experiencing the love of God

There are so many people in this world that claim to be Christ followers but so few that are devoutly reading God's word.

78.4% of Americans claim to be Christians. So with this number being so high, what is a Christian really? Has "Christian" become a word similar to "love" that has many meanings and has lost some of it's meaning? According to Pew Research* the number of Christians that attend church on an average Sunday is between 17- 24 percent. "Of over 2 billion Christians in the world, less than 30% will ever read through the entire bible. The fact is over 82% of Christian Americans only read their bibles on Sundays while in church"**

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, Christian means "one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ or disciple."

My question is as Christians, how can we accurately represent Christ or even profess His teachings, if we are not reading His Word. I fear that many of us "Christians" do not really know God.

Doctrine and good works don't make a good Christian. A true Christian life consists of a relationship with God.

In the end, nothing else on this earth will matter except our relationship with God, the creator of the heavens and the earth. Do we really know Him or do we just know about Him? Does he know you because you have diligently spent time studying Him and talking to Him?

"You will seek me and you will find me when you search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ Matthew 7:21-27

I don't know about you, but I want Jesus to know me. Seek Him, pray to Him. He will reveal Himself to those who ask.
I want Jesus a lot right now. I don't want to travel across the world to a foreign country without Jesus. That would be a waste. May everything I do and every word I say glorify His name forever.


*http://www.examiner.com/article/troubling-statistics-reveal-true-state-of-christianity-America
** http://poncefoundation.com/project/christians-dont-read-their-bible/

No comments:

Post a Comment