Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Persecution

"To the saint personal insult becomes the occasion of revealing the incredible sweetness of the Lord Jesus."- Chambers

I love this quote. It's so beautifully true. When someone persecutes you or insults you, the worst comes out. Character is not only who you are when nobody is looking but also who you are when someone is yelling at your face.

This week, since I am the lake director (yay me) and nominated myself crowd control coordinator (yay me again) =p I have learned that I am not as great at handling yelling and criticism as I thought I was. Both yesterday and today I acted quite defensive when people began to complain and yell at me and the end was not so good. I would love to see Jesus when He talked to the Pharisees and even the crowd condemning Him at the cross. I can only imagine the love and genuine concern in His eyes in contrast to the sarcasm and hatred in mine. I know that as lake director I have a reason to defend myself and my workers. But Jesus never felt the need to defend His ways sarcastically or angrily to his followers. He knew that His work was justified before God and God alone.

There is a quote that Oswald Chambers writes in his devotional it says "Every time I insist upon my right, I hurt the son of God; whereas I can prevent Jesus from being hurt if I take the blame myself."This quote stuns me. I want to protest and be like "No people are just going to walk all over me, use me, and take advantage of me- that's not even fair. I'll be misrepresented." But then if you think about it- that's just like Jesus! If being like Jesus is our goal, we will need to learn to stop defending ourself and start accepting criticism and persecution.

Matthew 5:39 ,"But I say unto you, That ye shall not resist evil.; but whoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

No comments:

Post a Comment