Monday, June 3, 2013

Something to say


1 John 5:4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
1 John 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Something I have struggled with my entire life is relating to people. A lot of times I just feel so different than them. Like the fact that I take God seriously and school seriously, sometimes at school I just feel so much maturer than everyone else. Another thing I feel different than a lot of girls about is like dressing up and playing sports. Most girls want to go to the mall and frankly I'd rather have a mud fight or play sports any day. So what do I do with these differences and at the same time the desire to feel loved and fit in?
A lot of my life I have wanted the "best of both worlds": to have a lot of friends, be good at sports, be smart, be talented, take God seriously.. And what I've learned is you can't do everything. I'm not saying you can't be good at a lot of these things but what I am saying is at sometime in your life you have to focus on one thing and decide what matters the most. Is your relationship with God going to be enough for you if you have no friends on this earth because you follow Him? What if serving God means that you fail college or can't work your dream job?
To me, God means more than my friends and also more than grades. You see sometimes even good things like friends and hobbies can become idols in our life. Anything we put before God is an idol.
Before I went to southern last year while I was here at summer camp, I used my friends to keep me sane all summer instead of trusting in Christ. I had a relationship with God during the summer at Wewoka but I didn't rely on Him and I wasn't putting Him first, I was putting my friends and my job first. This could be shown by the fact that last year I hardly ever had time to have my own devotional life less than twenty minutes every day.
When I went to Southern I got closer to God than I've ever gotten before and I learned so much. I learned to rely on God more than I ever have and I also fell in love with Christ more than ever. God taught me the art of surrendering because the thing I learned this year is that a relationship with God isn't easy. It's not fun all the time and it's not the popular thing. Even at a church camp here where we all pray and study scriptures, it's easy at times to gossip, complain, criticize, and judge campers and staff. It's easy to hang out late and harder to go read your Bible by yourself. No one will give you your relationship with God and nobody can help you find God more than you can. It's a personal thing. I just want to encourage you that if you want to get closer to God, you have to make time to spend with him. Go out in nature and look at the stars and pray.
I wanted to be a counselor so bad this year and the reason why I feel God didn't want me too was because he knew if I was a counselor I wouldn't spend enough time with him. So counselors I understand you don't have a lot of time but I sympathize and will be willing to help you whenever. But I just challenge you to seek God this summer. If you want to know Him and follow Him be aware that it will take sacrifice and that you will be different. The more I know God the more different and set apart I feel from most things of this world. But I believe God's worth it and I believe Jesus is coming soon. So I just pray that all of you take your relationship with God seriously because nobody can do it for you.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me

No comments:

Post a Comment