Sunday, June 23, 2013

Homesick for Heaven

"If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place; I've never been more homesick than now."-- Homesick by Mercy Me
Homesick--the feeling is very familiar to me: the longing to see familiarity, to hug people that know me, to see people that love me, to be in the place where I was made, to want to be loved, to know that you are where you belong... I understand the sadness that comes from missing someone or something or just everything so very much. But sometimes I wonder about heaven.. and how come more of us aren't more homesick for Jesus? How come we don't dream about heaven anymore? How come we don't hope for the second coming?
This is what freaks me out.. we really aren't ready for Jesus to come. I mean if you look around this world is so messed up, it really is a tragedy. If you thought about all the problems and all the sin this world has, all the innocent children dying of hunger, the families being destroyed because they don't have love, the terrorists bombing the world- it's definitely getting close to the end.
You would think that with all these tragedies going on, all this unjustice, you would think that our minds would dwell on Christ and his hope and his second coming?! You would think that we would be woken up from our lukewarm lifestyles and satisfaction with our relationship with Christ. What does it take to wake us up? What will it take for us to realize that these are the last days and that Christ is coming soon?
Sadly, if I'm honest often spirituality in this world becomes like a faerie tale or a routine. It's hard for me to make it real and it's hard for me to think of things like heaven. It all just feels so far away. Often I feel like thinking of heaven is as funny as dwelling on fictional things like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.
This is one of the main reasons I want to go to Peru as a missionary. I don't want to close my eyes anymore. I don't want to be sheltered from the world and all the suffering that's going on. I don't want to live my own life blind to the pain and the hurting around me.
I believe that Christ is coming soon and there are so many people that desperately need Jesus right now. If I can't stop thinking about my life and my world.. if I can't focus on Christ, it's just not gonna happen.
But if somehow, by only God's grace, Christ opens my eyes to the things that really matter: eternal things, then I know everything will change.
I want to be homesick for heaven.
Revelation 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
 
Revelation 22:1-5  Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.  No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post too. I think about heaven all the time! When someone dies, I think about how we were never meant to experience death, and how life will be like without death one day. When I'm singing I wonder what my voice will be like in heaven. What amazing harmonies will we sing? What kind of instruments will I play? So many of these thoughts fill my mind. I'm sooo homesick for heaven. This was so uplifting! <3

    ReplyDelete