Monday, May 6, 2013

the crowd

"A scripture I had memorized for years kept creeping into my heart and mind. "No servant can serve two masters" (Luke 16:13). In context, the verse pertains to serving God versus money, but I realized as I read that I could not serve God's eternal purpose and man's earthly desires. I couldn't fulfill both God's call on my life and my parents' desire for me to secure a "normal, successful future" with a college degree."
"God taught me over and over again that it did not matter what the world said, that it did not matter that almost none of the people closest to me believed in what I was doing or believed it would succeed, that it did not matter what they said was impossible, because God did this, and He was going to continue doing it." -- Kisses from Katie
I am absolutely in love with this book. I highly recommend you read it. It's inspirational and down to earth. This girl has a beautiful, touching, and intriguing story.

Today I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. Both the hygienist and the dentist were quite intrigued by my ambitions to go to Peru next year. In reality, they didn't understand. I tried to tell them that I was a Christian and was going to do service. They wondered if I was getting some kind of credit for the class or why I would be going. I told the dentist that I could be doing dental work down there but I hoped I would just be in the clinic. She made the comment "Oh I'm sure you can't manage that", smiling while she said it. I wanted to comment back or say something like if only you knew.. but I decided it wasn't the most Jesus-like response.

I haven't left for Peru yet but I've already ran into downers and doubters. People have told me to wait. People tell me that college is more important. Others say "Your only 19" but I say My God is bigger and He's the one who called me. Many people don't understand. It took even my parents months of pleading to allow me to go, but I praise God that now they are supporting me in my decision and being very understanding. I know it is hard for them to let their only daughter go.

Sometimes God's callings will not make sense. Sometimes they will not be the popular decision or get a lot of support. People will not always congratulate you or tell you that you are doing the right thing for serving Christ. It matters most between God and you. When He shows you His will it is up to you to listen and follow. The crowd doesn't matter. After all, the crowd persecuted Jesus Christ. Who will you choose to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment