Monday, May 6, 2013

Moving On

Sometimes you have to think about your character and how the people and situations around you are impacting the person you are becoming.
For example, when I went to Southern Adventist University my relationship with God grew due simply to the fact that I relied on Him more as I had to make totally new friends. Because I missed my family and the way things used to be, I prayed harder and more often, learning to trust God in an entire new way.
I've heard that as you go as a student missionary, many college students' spiritual walks greatly grow simply due to the fact that it is terrifying, scary, and you are NEEDING God all the time! God becomes your Rock. You realize that you can't live without Him and you can't be Jesus to the people around you without His help.
I'm not saying that you should leave all the people you love and the situations that are going well in your life just so that you can be challenged and your relationship with God can grow, but maybe you should consider making changes. If you aren't putting God first in your life, then what would it take for you to really trust Him? If you are not truly loving others, what would teach you to do so or change that?

Matthew 5:30-- And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Proverbs 13:20--Those who walk with the wise grow wise, but a companion of fools suffer harm.

In different situations, we react and respond in a different way. I act differently based on where I am at and what is expected of me. To the people I trust the most, I act the craziest. To people I barely know, I reserve myself or act more polite. In certain situations, I act with more dignity than others. Sadly enough with strangers I often act more Christ like than I do with my very own brother.

We are responsible for our actions and we are responsible for our characters and who we are becoming. Are we demonstrating Christ's love for us in everything we do? Are the situations we are placing ourself in providing an atmosphere that can lead us closer to Christ? Do our best friends challenge us to walk with God closer and show us where we are going wrong?
If you said no to any of these questions, then I challenge you to make a change that will benefit a transformation in your spiritual walk. I challenge you to put yourself in positions where you will get to know Christ better and to take opportunities where your trust in Him will improve.
After all, when life is over, the only thing that will matter is your relationship with Christ and how you have shared His love for others.



No comments:

Post a Comment