Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Help me to hurt

The opposite of love is not hatred but indifference. - Elie Wiesel

Today around 21,000 children died around the world with the biggest causes being poverty, hunger, and easily preventable diseases and illnesses. I can write this without shedding a tear. I can write this without even feeling sad. I'm guessing you can read it without much emotion as well?
I mean he there's too many children out there to feel sad for- what can I do right? It's unrealistic for me to hurt for every child in the world?

We, Americans, our constantly bombarded with various charities and causes asking us for money, time, and resources. One of the biggest strategies they use to get these resources is the pathos or emotional appeal. . It's almost like people and voices are constantly yelling at us or nagging at us "Help me; help this; Do this; Do that." but then they don't stop there.
Instead of just saying Help is needed here they do everything they can to rip out your heart and get your emotions going. They pick the most gruesome and heart wrenching pictures one could imagine and post them in places where you will often see them. They love to target the Christian heart- which is stereotypically more giving and caring. They love it when they get the opportunity to show videos which include the saddest pictures and most touching or atrocious stories meant to make you cry or pull you to action.
A good example of a charity that does this a lot is Compassion International. I love Compassion International and I think it's a great charity, but I've watched their videos probably about six times. Every time I watch it, it seems that I care a little less. This is sad and I feel like this is wrong. But I don't always have money to give these people. I can't give money to every organization in the world. So what can I do right? I believe that I can't do anything and the attitude of indifference in my heart is born.

Every time you see something wrong and don't do anything, the attitude of indifference gets a little bit stronger.

If indifference is the opposite of love. Then indifference is of Satan just as love is of God. God calls us over and over again to care for other, to do something to help others, to stand up for the orphans and the abused. He says that true religion is to look after orphans and widows in their distress (James 1:27). Matthew 5:42 says to give to the one who begs to you. Matthew 10 says to heal the sick and help without pay. Luke 3:10-11 says to share our clothes and food with others who don't have any. It is our responsibility to love others in the same way that Christ has loved us (John 15:12). Christ died for me, He gave me life, He healed my sicknesses, He cried with me, He held my hand when I was sad, He listened, He stood up for me, He helped me even when I didn't ask...
And God promises whatever we do for the least ( the poor, orphaned, abused, hurt, dirty) we do for Christ himself.

Kisses from Katie -- "I believe that every human being on the planet is God's child, perfectly made and beloved and cherished by Him. I believe that His heart hurts, even more than mine does when my baby is hurting, for each and every one of the hurting, dying, starving, crying children in or world. So I have to believe that if my heart was truly seeking to be aligned with the heart of God, that I would hurt for each one of these children as well. But sometimes, I forget. Sometimes I'm busy. Sometimes just hurting for my children just feels like enough. I believe the world says this is okay. I believe it's wrong. And this keeps me up at night...
Help me to hurt, not just a little, but the way you hurt when your children are overlooked and perishing. Help me to never be too busy or too comfortable to remember the people who suffer. Help me to never stop desiring to do something about it. Lord, help us remember that as the body of Christ, this is our responsibility. Thank you for loving us, even when we forget. I never, never want to forget again."

I plead as Katie does: Teach me to hurt. Help me to feel pain when you are pained. Help me to see needs the way you do. Give me your eyes for the broken hearted. Break my heart for what breaks yours because I want to love like you.


No comments:

Post a Comment